Which of these two cards would be better?

OSNN Newbie
I'm going to be getting one of two nearly identical notebook computers in the coming weeks. I need to pick one, but the only significant difference between the two is the graphics card.

Notebook #1 has an ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP.

Notebook #2 has an ATI Radeon 345M.

Both cards (unfortunately) use system memory (up to 64mb) as video memory.

I've tried finding out some information about the cards, but good, hard facts are proving elusive. I did discover that the 7000 IGP was based on 340M architecture, but that doesn't really tell me if it's better or worse than the 345M.

Anyone got any links to good data about these two cards? Or even some personal experience? Because of circumstances, I'll be getting one of these two, and I want to get the best that I can.

Thanks in advance.

ATI Radeon 345M is newer, I'd say it's better... but I hate the shared memory thing.

OT - welcome :) You are new here? (I remember another binary username from Xperience days)

both of them have pretty average performance (lower than 1500 in 3dmark). what kind of system are these in? i would say go for the 345m though.

Thanks for the responses. And, yes, I'm new here...

The one with the 345M is an HP Pavillion ze5732qv with a 2.3 ghz mobile P4 processor and 256 meg of RAM.

The other one (the brand name of which is eluding my memory at the moment) has a 2.5 ghz Celeron with 256 meg of RAM.

Based on what you guys said here (and my own further research), I've decided to go with the HP Pavillion. It has a slightly bigger hard drive, wireless adapter, etc. that the other one didn't, plus it's sounding like the on-board graphics chipset is probably a little better. I wish I had a bigger selection to choose from, but I'm getting it through my wife's job's employee purchase program and my selections are limited by that.

This computer will mainly serve as a portable DVD player, mp3 player, and PDF viewer. My desktop will remain my gaming machine (as it should be :)).

good thing you went with the pavilion as well cause the celeron in that other system wouldn't be very good compared to the mobile p4

1010101 said:
My desktop will remain my gaming machine (as it should be :)).
You'd be suprised at how capable laptops are at gaming these days. I just got this relatively-lowend notebook (see sig) and i can play all current games fairly well (ut2004, farcry).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back