which NOS

jdn

I'm trying
hi all
I am looking for opinions on this matter.
I own a small business ( 8 pcs ) that currently is peer to peer using xp, me and win 98. I feel the time has come to implement a server and I am wondering whether win2000 or novell Small Bus Suite 6.1 would be the best bet. We use cad-cam mostly.Our office uses offfice 2000 for word processing/spreadsheet/email etc. However I getting tired of hacks and virus usually directed at/with microsoft products. I am wondering if novell would avoid some of this. Any ideas or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated as well as server recommendations.

thanks

Then I have a warm recommendation for you. Linux. Just install a distribution of your choice (I recommend Mandrake since it's easy to use for "Linux newbies") on the machine you want as server. This server can then be set up to do pretty much whatever you want:
- File server for the CAD files and all other document. This is done with Samba.
- Mail server to store the mail.
- Internet gateway if you want a shared Internet connection.
- DHCP server to manage the IP:s on the network.

And so on, I could go on for hours. Linux is safer and more stable than MS servers AND it's free (unless you want phone support). There are companies who will sell you off-the-shelf servers with linux with functions you can specify if you don't want to build your own.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back