Which Linux Company?

LocKStocK

Smokin & Jokin
Hi,

I am thinkin about getting Linux but, I've noticed there are lots of different companies (Red Hat, Mandrake, etc.....) that make Linux software. Which is best?

Also, is it possible to network a computer with Linux installed to a Windows network?

Final Note..........

Is Lindows a good move?

red hat is good, so is suse...i'd go with red hat, seems to be the most reliable...and yes lindows sucks...for the record.

My opinion sounds a bit harsh but it reflects the truth.... go for Slackware otherwise stick with Windows XP. Mandrake, Lindows and co. are cheap copies of Windows! :mad: If I look at their KDEs I have to vomit! no joke! :p So why do you actually want to use Linux, do you want to do a server or are you a system developer? If you are a normal user who plays and uses office apps stick with Windows XP or if you don't like it choos Mac, still better than Linux.

~Chrissicom

If its your first time using/installing linux i'd recommend Mandrake as its nice and easy to setup and use.

Oh yeah you said you are on a Windows Network... Are you using Exchange for email, and if so you will want ximian evolution as your email client in linux. I would go with Red Hat 7.x The only problem you may experience is browsing your windows network, but thats not a big deal.

Thx for recommendations ppl :D
2 more questions:p, is it possible to dual boot XP and Red Hat? And is it worth doing?

yes, it is possible to dual boot winxp and any flavor of linux.

before you attempt that though, do some serious homework...

of course it's worth dualbooting xp with linux, it's actually preferred if it's a possibility you can do it, do it.

I would say start off with Mandrake/RedHat ... and after a month, move on to Slackware.

Thread moved to Other Operating Systems

Also, is it possible to network a computer with Linux installed to a Windows network?

Yes.
there is samba wich is a file sharing netowrking tool, you can use telnet, ftp, ssh(using putty on the ms side) if you use the internet youre making a connection between both os's

as for dual booting, they usually come standard with some sort of boot loader. lilo or grub. its pretty much idiot proof, so try it out & see.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back