• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Which Linux Company?

LocKStocK

Smokin & Jokin
Hi,

I am thinkin about getting Linux but, I've noticed there are lots of different companies (Red Hat, Mandrake, etc.....) that make Linux software. Which is best?

Also, is it possible to network a computer with Linux installed to a Windows network?

Final Note..........

Is Lindows a good move?

syn

long live xp0!
red hat is good, so is suse...i'd go with red hat, seems to be the most reliable...and yes lindows sucks...for the record.

C

ChrissiCom

My opinion sounds a bit harsh but it reflects the truth.... go for Slackware otherwise stick with Windows XP. Mandrake, Lindows and co. are cheap copies of Windows! :mad: If I look at their KDEs I have to vomit! no joke! :p So why do you actually want to use Linux, do you want to do a server or are you a system developer? If you are a normal user who plays and uses office apps stick with Windows XP or if you don't like it choos Mac, still better than Linux.

~Chrissicom

J

jhawks2266

Oh yeah you said you are on a Windows Network... Are you using Exchange for email, and if so you will want ximian evolution as your email client in linux. I would go with Red Hat 7.x The only problem you may experience is browsing your windows network, but thats not a big deal.

yes, it is possible to dual boot winxp and any flavor of linux.

before you attempt that though, do some serious homework...

M

MadHaXX()|2

Also, is it possible to network a computer with Linux installed to a Windows network?
Yes.
there is samba wich is a file sharing netowrking tool, you can use telnet, ftp, ssh(using putty on the ms side) if you use the internet youre making a connection between both os's

as for dual booting, they usually come standard with some sort of boot loader. lilo or grub. its pretty much idiot proof, so try it out & see.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies