Which LCD 1080p TV?

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
If you can wait a little longer LED (Thanks LeeJend) backlit LCDs are about to hit and it apperently makes a massive difference and helps with black levels.
I am waiting till xmas they should be out in force then....

Last edited:
Indy - did you mean LED backlight?

Hard to tell from the links. Samsung claims a 30% higher contrast ratio but you can't trust ratings. It all depends on how they are measured and samsung does not specify what standard it used.

The Sony write up is so much advertising bull, no technical data.

The only way to tell is to find a store with both and view them with the same program running. You also need to actually see how much glare they have. Some brands I looked at had horribleglare from reflections.

Try your local walmart for comparison viewing. They have sony, smasung, sanyo, polaroid and some new brands. And best of all they don't cheat like Best Buy and Circuit City and display the sets under reduced lighting. The sets get the same lighting as the rest of the store.

Update
I just read through the 212 reviews on the 2 sets... Do you have a third choice in mind?

Cons:
The Samsung has several technical issues and many had to have on site upgrades done. Getting the latest firmwar is important.
Neither Samsung or Sony support HD picture in picture.
The Samsung speakers got slammed repeatedly as junk.
The sony did not have as many repairs, but, the sony service and warantee support sucked.
The Sony display has issues with clouding, an LCD issue less commented on with Samsung.
There were the usual LCD Panel complaints about blurring in standard definition and in fast motion.
Image quality still does not match a good CRT TV.
The Samsung runs hot, but then any big screen is going to.

PROs:
Samsung service was excellent.
Only one dead pixel complaint out of 212 reviews.
Picture quality was generally considered good on both sets, except for the Sony clouding.

Good luck. I'm planning on getting a 40 inch for xmas this year. Report back on your results.

Last edited:
the store never set them up right so they always look awful. the sony has an led backlight.

neither go for a sharp, it better than both, (even though i didnt even look at the specs of the ones you are talking about, but thats because the sharp is the best one) and its much cheaper, i advised many of my friends to get the 42 inch sharp lcd, i now have 4 friends with this tv, no complaints, they got it for different prices because of sales at future shop, but the cheapest one got it for 1600ish (canadian dollars) and thats because our prices are more expensive than the states. so check it out 2 inches bigger and better performance with a cheaper price tag cant go wrong!

I'd second the sharp over both.. if you are set on the samsung or sony, i'd say samsung - not for any rational/technical reason, but mainly because I have a slight bias/aversion (ok, hatred) of Sony products at the moment.

umm btw just to let you guys know, some sony screens are manufactured by samsung! lol

To come from out of nowhere I would have to say look for an LG...I bought a 32 inch HDTV a year and half ago and I have loved every second of owning it...Every single person compliments the picture quality (it's only 720p) (hell even the comcast who sees tvs all the time complimented it)

I will probably only buy LG from now on after the great experience I've had with it.

as kush said... sharp is the best choice.. get one if u can... otherwise samsung are pretty good too (tho not as great)

I'm for the Samsung if it's between the two. Sony is good quality, but over-priced and they like to install rootkits. ;)

the sharps do look nice, but even a reviewer for the sharp said the sony was better.

As you have already seen there is no such thing as a perfect set, and different people look for different things.
My advice is to listern to the views of everyone draw up a list of sets you are interested in, and get yourself if possible, to somewhere you can view them and have a play! Reading avfourms also recommended if possible take a film with fast moving scenes and alot of dark scenes (Star wars EP III is supposed to be a good exaple) and see if you can demo it on the set.
Hope this helps

...if possible take a film with fast moving scenes and alot of dark scenes (Star wars EP III is supposed to be a good exaple) and see if you can demo it on the set.
Hope this helps

My mate done just that - he got an odd look but they let him see the dvd on the unit he was interested in (50-inch Plasma) once he had seen the quality of the movie on that particular TV he went and bought something completely different :p I can't remember the make, think it was Samsung but don't quote me.

I do ALOT of AV installation where I work ...

I would say two things here... I would NOT get a 1080p screen unless you watch A TON of 1080p content whether that be HD DVD movies or HD TV...

It just isnt wide spread enough in my opinion to warrant the cost difference between 1080i and 1080p sets...

I would balance what you are going to be using it for against how much you are willing to spend and see what kind of list you end up with...

Check the following for decent reviews:

www.CNet.com

www.PCWorld.com

www.Epinions.com (customer reviews)

Use all of this as a guide to make an informed decision based on what YOU think are the most important assets you want to get from your TV...

Good Luck!

Mike A!

The AVSForum is a great place for information. They have made mention of some banding in the Sharp monitors.

I am going to be buying either a 42 inch lcd (which will be LG or Toshiba) or a samsung LED DLP. I can't decide but that forum is great for this exact stuff.

Side note, I don't mean to offer up another forum (sorry OSNN god/mod) but that place is a bastion of real world experience with everything home entertainment and th epeople there are really helpful.

Yes, the AVSForum is outstanding, although there is so much information there that it's sometimes hard to find what you're looking for in a search. I always do an Advanced Search with the terms in the thread title only. Great forum though and a lot of very A/V-educated people there.​

Yes, the AVSForum is outstanding, although there is so much information there that it's sometimes hard to find what you're looking for in a search. I always do an Advanced Search with the terms in the thread title only. Great forum though and a lot of very A/V-educated people there.​

Muzi, is there a reason why all your posts are aligned to the right. Or are you just being artsy :squareeye

Ok i am looking at these two lcd tv's both have gret reviews seem pretty similar.

Which should i get and why, the price is pretty much the same as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LNT40...4?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1191448907&sr=1-7

Samsung LNT4061F 40" 1080p LCD HDTV $1,480.58

or

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL-40V2...229927-3364754?ie=UTF8&qid=1191448907&sr=1-19

Sony KDL-40V2500 40" Bravia V-Series 1080p LCD HDTV $1,507.14

I think Samsung LNT4061F 40" 1080p LCD HDTV is a good choice .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back