Which is the BEST Firewall ?

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi all really stuck here and hoping for a good information input. I am looking for a simple firewall solution. I am would be fine a technical one as I am fairly well skilled with a PC.
The three firewalls I have used are: -
MS XP Pro personal firewall - stop using as conflicts with MSN Messenger!
Latest Blackice Defender client- too much other junk and proved to be a pain to use
Zonealarm Pro -the worst suffered great reduction in Internet speed and no end of other problems!:mad:

I would like a firewall that will be fine for dial-up connection which will allow P2P software etc I am running Norton Antivirus 2003 PRO so am not worried about viruses and tweak-xp pro takes care of popups and ads, I also have ad-aware to keep spyware free so all I want is a PURE firewall any help would be much appreciated!
:)

me uses norton firewall 2003 and im very happy with it :)

Weird, no problems with Zone Alarm Pro here.

Best firewall

Unable to say its the best, but i have tried a few, and Norton Firewall 2003 has worked with less hastle than all the rest so far, and does not conflict (obviously) with my Norton virus checker (2003)

suck it and see

I had NFW 2002, subscription was running out upgraded to NFW2003 and had problems installing it , followed supports two attempts to get it in.

My system checked out Aok and I have asked for and got a refund. ( running on XP Home )

At the beginning of the year I had three Norton Programs, now I have none.
My choice I know after the last one, I am now trying out Sygate Pro, so far it looks very good and in all probality I will end up buying it.

I am making use of the trial period on the firewalls, before I decide which one to buy.:)

I'm running NAV2002 and NIS2002, haven't had any problems with either.

Originally posted by Kr0m
Weird, no problems with Zone Alarm Pro here.

Hm... I was just thinking of switching to Zone Alarm, and in trying out the Pro trial on my laptop, I can't load any websites. I don't know what half the stuff it's asking me about to connect to the internet is... I'm having no luck with it. I wanted to like it but I can't even surf with it. Do you know what's up with that?

Does anyone know where to get a list of what needs to connect to the internet in order to get to websites? I don't want to allow programs that have no need to connect. And I don't want to allow stuff that I don't know what it is.

i use zone alarm pro. no problem. it ask's me do i want to let AOL in. i click on detail's and allow it. same with kazaalite. the only one i am confused about is win32.

Sygate Pro

I have spoken

carry on

cool.gif

Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid
Hm... I was just thinking of switching to Zone Alarm, and in trying out the Pro trial on my laptop, I can't load any websites. I don't know what half the stuff it's asking me about to connect to the internet is... I'm having no luck with it. I wanted to like it but I can't even surf with it. Do you know what's up with that?

Does anyone know where to get a list of what needs to connect to the internet in order to get to websites? I don't want to allow programs that have no need to connect. And I don't want to allow stuff that I don't know what it is.

I suggest you do a search for information regarding these programs that want to connect to the internet. You should know what these programs are regardless of a firewall, not to mention that you'll see them asking or wanting access in any firewall.

For me, the Generic Host Process for Win32 Services needs access to be able to do anything on the net.

If you want the simple version of ZoneAlarm, get ZA Plus.
It is kinda like old 2.6 Pro, just a Firewall without all the extras.
I have also tried Sygate Pro, it's not bad, just a little confusing at 1st, if you have only used ZA.

This is like asking.."which came first...the chicken or the egg"....but I know the anwser

Sygate Pro.....came first :happy:

i use NIS 2003, i love it, works great, very secure. haven't had any problems with it

I guess the bottom line is, to try them out for yourself if you choose not to take someone's word on one particular program.

If you do choose to try more than one and uninstall a previous program, make sure you do a complete uninstall, if you don't, it could create some unwanted problems. Maybe check on the program manufacturer's website, in the FAQ section etc... for specific/detailed uninstall directions.

A couple months ago I figured that I'd try some various firewall programs, which consisted of Zone Alarm, Kerio, Sygate, Norton and a couple others. All weren't bad but I was used to Zone Alarm Pro & its GUI & options so I opted to stick with it. I'm sure once you actually take the time to get used to whichever program you choose, you'll like it. Each program has its own pros & cons.

Norton Personal Firewall 2003 Pro

does what its supposed to do ...never a problem!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back