Which is the best dual-layer dvd writer?

Crap we cant get those in Canada that easy , heck ship me some up here lol

indyjones said:
Went for the NEC in the end as it was only £40 for the black one and the plextor drive is much much more, would had preferred the plex but can not afford it currently :( still thanks for the advice guys as least I know the Nec is good :) 3520A think it is...

Good choice, I like the NECs. I have the 2500A with the firmware flashed to dual layer support. I haven't really tested it though, as DL media around here is $10 per disc, and I haven't been that curious yet.

themafia.69 said:
hey indy best choice :D make sure u get the hacked firmware the nec's operate much better with the ones from herrie www.rpc1.org or his own site, might not be updated though check both www.herrie.org

Interesting I read on cdfreaks maybe that the modified firmware gave some advatages, region free fast rip speeds ablity to burn at higher speeds on media, although the downers were noisy drive, quality drop on some media types so they recommended using the stock i can always rip from my pioneer anyway.
www.svp.co.uk currently does dual-layer at about £2.40 so alot more expensive than single layer but the price has dropped!
Once again thanks for the help, most of todays drives seem good this was just offering alot for the cash at the moment so I went for it :)

IJ

Plaextor is th bets .. Sony Dru series is the best. I got a sony dru-710, mostly because it was less than 100.00 ... The plex is over a 100.00

Amazing, I wonder has an individual tried em all?

NEC is o.k. only dual layer I have had and tried.

indyjones said:
Interesting I read on cdfreaks maybe that the modified firmware gave some advatages, region free fast rip speeds ablity to burn at higher speeds on media, although the downers were noisy drive, quality drop on some media types so they recommended using the stock i can always rip from my pioneer anyway.
www.svp.co.uk currently does dual-layer at about £2.40 so alot more expensive than single layer but the price has dropped!
Once again thanks for the help, most of todays drives seem good this was just offering alot for the cash at the moment so I went for it :)

IJ
thats what i have been trying to tell you the whole time, ps about the media, herrie works on it so theres no drop in quality but acctually a better writing quality, he pulls methods from many different drives/firmwares and always keeps the best. thats why i always use his firmwares

I know which you shouldn't go for...LG.
I don't know about other people, but my GSA-4081B drive died a little past the 1 yr mark. I burnt less than 20 dvds and less than 15 cds, and I never used it for reading. Only burning. I started getting "focus or tracking" errors in burning apps and it has finally died, and now I'm left without a burner. I contacted LG and they never answered back. Be careful when dealing with these guys...

I would say something about dual layer drives, the disks are pretty expensive, I have yet to use a dual layer disk I don't own one yet, I was browsing a retail outlet for them a few weeks ago and branded ones were £10 each, they didn't have anything cheaper. A lot of money to lose if you get a bomb out.

apu95 said:
I know which you shouldn't go for...LG.
I don't know about other people, but my GSA-4081B drive died a little past the 1 yr mark. I burnt less than 20 dvds and less than 15 cds, and I never used it for reading. Only burning. I started getting "focus or tracking" errors in burning apps and it has finally died, and now I'm left without a burner. I contacted LG and they never answered back. Be careful when dealing with these guys...

must have been your own personal experience because i also have an lg dv burner and had no probs. in fact it works better than the sony one i have with cheap crappy dvdr's

Yes well I say you find good and bad in all brands as in anything

"except NEC and herrie hacked firmware " this is without a doubt the worlds best possible combination I think these 2 should be put up for invention of the century they are so far ahead in game its almost as if it was invented on another planet.

lancer said:
must have been your own personal experience because i also have an lg dv burner and had no probs. in fact it works better than the sony one i have with cheap crappy dvdr's

Actually its many experiences...I've searched for ways to try and fix the error and there are many MANY users that have had the same problem with this particular model of LG. Its just this model that got screwed up...I have LG drives in all my PCs in my house and they all work well. The manufacturing on this model might've been a little iffy...

brought liteon SOHW - 1653s dvdrw in this january ( i think). now it can read any cds, havnt try dvd i can bet it cant! tried the use boot windows xp sp1 it wont load use back my old cdrw, it work fine! bugger!

liteon is a very bad product!

now i have to buy another one, if i cant find the receipt!

FrenzyD said:
brought liteon SOHW - 1653s dvdrw in this january ( i think). now it can read any cds, havnt try dvd i can bet it cant! tried the use boot windows xp sp1 it wont load use back my old cdrw, it work fine! bugger!

liteon is a very bad product!

now i have to buy another one, if i cant find the receipt!

That has to be one of the all time best ! I mean get real try the thing first than come and tell the world how bad it is, I have never had any trouble with Lite-Ons funny huh

Best drives for Dual layer are in no specific order:

Lite On
NEC
Plextor

They all have their own perks: LiteOn for their reliability and average of well built products, NEC for being one of the first to get a good quality product out on the market, and Plextor's SATA burners.

BenQ 1620. Can't be beat, very happy with it. Also, there is a tool to remove the riplock.

Lite-On make great burners and always have never had any trouble with any Lite-On and I have had and still have Lite-On

Lite-On dvd burners are not nearly as good as their cd burners. Plus they are very finicky about media.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back