Which is better for perfromance?

wingman411

OSNN Senior Addict
In advanced properties, should I use program or system cache for memory usage to get the best performance. I have 1GB of RAM.

the default settings are sufficient... adjustments are unlikely to yield any improvements to your performance unless you look specifically at synthetic benches and even then the numbers should not really differ...

'Programs' works best for most workstations. The 'System Cache' option is intended to be used on server machines, or for special applications that need the large system cache.

Mine is set to System Cache and I didn't change it. I did do some registry tweaks before, but I don't remember if it changed that setting. I think it was to keep the kernel in memory or something like that.

The default setting is 'Programs'
As you guessed, one of the tweaks you applied earlier would have changed it. I really doubt you'd see any significant change in performance either way.

You're better off by turning off all the lunar theme and other winxp visual enhancements if you want faster processing.

create a ram drive and put your temp internet folder in there.

leedogg said:
create a ram drive and put your temp internet folder in there.
Pff.. I'd rather securely erase every trace of the internet usage on my machine. I don't allow more than 10mb of temp files on my machine and all of them get erased once a day. History list and cookies get deleted every time I close my browser. :)

ming said:
Pff.. I'd rather securely erase every trace of the internet usage on my machine. I don't allow more than 10mb of temp files on my machine and all of them get erased once a day. History list and cookies get deleted every time I close my browser. :)
Wow, paranoia.
tongue.gif

ming said:
Ram drives get wiped on every reboot. Place the temp file there speeds up image/site downloads significantly. Reloading a page happens instantly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back