failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
which is the better or more reliable brand

Seagate
Western Digital
Hitachi
Maxtor

I take preference to Maxtor, not one has failed me but if you want HD's which generate slightly less noise then get Seagate which is also a good brand.

IME, Maxtor and WD are the best. I chose WD SATAs for my newest rig and (knock on wood) am pleased with them so far.

Maxtor is all I have used if my memory serves. I plump for Maxtor.

I have Maxtors in my box ATM and Western Digitals in my Daughter's computers. I have steered clear of IBM's "Death Stars" (DeskStar) ever since about two years ago I had two go flatline on me and took everything with them. I had a friend with a raid array of four IBMs and three went dead within a week of each other. I don't know how they are now but, me shivers at the mention of one. Seagate is a reliable brand. Don't know much about Hitachi.

Basically it's preference and just doing a search as to reliability. You can get the perfect brand name and it can still go "poof" on ya. Check warranty and return (RMA) policies on whichever one you choose. Then... cross yer fingers. :D

You will get at least 4 different recommendations. (Some smart ass may say IBM...)

Every brand has failures. (For me Seagate sucked and I'll never buy one again.) Every brand goes through bad times (my favorite, WD had some major problems when the 120 gig drives first came out).

Any of those brand (and IBM) are fine. (Choke, I said Seagate is fine, gag, retch, heave...)

im used to western digital but i think maxtor is better than WD

IBM=Hitachi, Hitachi=IBM... They've merged (the HD unit) and are under the Hitachi brand.

Best for value/and low noise - I'd say would be Hitachi/IBM.
Performance wise would be WD's raptor

LeeJend said:
You will get at least 4 different recommendations. (Some smart ass may say IBM...)

Every brand has failures. (For me Seagate sucked and I'll never buy one again.) Every brand goes through bad times (my favorite, WD had some major problems when the 120 gig drives first came out).

Any of those brand (and IBM) are fine. (Choke, I said Seagate is fine, gag, retch, heave...)

Your phobia is Seagate... mine is IBM.

smart ass... heh :p

ming said:
IBM=Hitachi, Hitachi=IBM... They've merged (the HD unit) and are under the Hitachi brand.

Best for value/and low noise - I'd say would be Hitachi/IBM...

:eek: *runs in horror* :eek:

gonaads said:
Your phobia is Seagate... mine is IBM.

smart ass... heh :p

I've been through Seagat and maxtor with faults.. Haven't had a problem with my IBM HD since I got it 3 years ago.

Me is the total opposite. Except for the Seagate. I have never used them, not even after they bought out Conner. Now those were bullet-proof. I still have my first HDD, a Conner 80MB.

Yep, I said 80MB.

I prefer Seagate, then Western Digital.
I don't want Maxtor. I've had 2 maxtor HDs die on me in 1 week, after that. I stopped getting them. I've only had 1 WD die on me. It was still under warrenty. And 0 Seagates have died.

But everyone can have different circumstances for their drive dieing. Surges, heat issues, mishandling, to much Pr0n. :)

Whichever brand offers the longest and best warranty for the size drive you're looking for. Harddrives are fickle creatures and as a result you can't rely on the previous performance of similar drives from the same company as a guage of how long the drive will last.

ming said:

Best for value/and low noise - I'd say would be Hitachi/IBM.
Performance wise would be WD's raptor

IBM actually sold their HDD division to Hitachi. Hitachi has been making great strides in R&D and has much more stringent QA than IBM did. I'd say their drives are much more reliable than when they were IBM

Hitachi Deskstars are very nice drives, my 160Gb is serving me well at the moment. But, so has Western Digital which i always use in my servers.

Did no one mention Samsung :eek: i have 2 Samsung SpinPoint P SP1614N 160GB`s in my little shuttle setup, been running fine for nearly 2 years and close to silent too....just a shame they dont make any bigger ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back