which HD brand..

Eiji

OSNN Addict
I take preference to Maxtor, not one has failed me but if you want HD's which generate slightly less noise then get Seagate which is also a good brand.

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political User
I have Maxtors in my box ATM and Western Digitals in my Daughter's computers. I have steered clear of IBM's "Death Stars" (DeskStar) ever since about two years ago I had two go flatline on me and took everything with them. I had a friend with a raid array of four IBMs and three went dead within a week of each other. I don't know how they are now but, me shivers at the mention of one. Seagate is a reliable brand. Don't know much about Hitachi.

Basically it's preference and just doing a search as to reliability. You can get the perfect brand name and it can still go "poof" on ya. Check warranty and return (RMA) policies on whichever one you choose. Then... cross yer fingers. :D

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
You will get at least 4 different recommendations. (Some smart ass may say IBM...)

Every brand has failures. (For me Seagate sucked and I'll never buy one again.) Every brand goes through bad times (my favorite, WD had some major problems when the 120 gig drives first came out).

Any of those brand (and IBM) are fine. (Choke, I said Seagate is fine, gag, retch, heave...)

ming

OSNN Advanced
IBM=Hitachi, Hitachi=IBM... They've merged (the HD unit) and are under the Hitachi brand.

Best for value/and low noise - I'd say would be Hitachi/IBM.
Performance wise would be WD's raptor

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political User
LeeJend said:
You will get at least 4 different recommendations. (Some smart ass may say IBM...)

Every brand has failures. (For me Seagate sucked and I'll never buy one again.) Every brand goes through bad times (my favorite, WD had some major problems when the 120 gig drives first came out).

Any of those brand (and IBM) are fine. (Choke, I said Seagate is fine, gag, retch, heave...)
Your phobia is Seagate... mine is IBM.

smart ass... heh :p

ming said:
IBM=Hitachi, Hitachi=IBM... They've merged (the HD unit) and are under the Hitachi brand.

Best for value/and low noise - I'd say would be Hitachi/IBM...
:eek: *runs in horror* :eek:

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political User
Me is the total opposite. Except for the Seagate. I have never used them, not even after they bought out Conner. Now those were bullet-proof. I still have my first HDD, a Conner 80MB.

Yep, I said 80MB.

I prefer Seagate, then Western Digital.
I don't want Maxtor. I've had 2 maxtor HDs die on me in 1 week, after that. I stopped getting them. I've only had 1 WD die on me. It was still under warrenty. And 0 Seagates have died.

But everyone can have different circumstances for their drive dieing. Surges, heat issues, mishandling, to much Pr0n. :)

Ferral_Imp

OSNN Senior Addict
Whichever brand offers the longest and best warranty for the size drive you're looking for. Harddrives are fickle creatures and as a result you can't rely on the previous performance of similar drives from the same company as a guage of how long the drive will last.

ming said:

Best for value/and low noise - I'd say would be Hitachi/IBM.
Performance wise would be WD's raptor
IBM actually sold their HDD division to Hitachi. Hitachi has been making great strides in R&D and has much more stringent QA than IBM did. I'd say their drives are much more reliable than when they were IBM

BonyTony

OSNN Senior Addict
Did no one mention Samsung :eek: i have 2 Samsung SpinPoint P SP1614N 160GB`s in my little shuttle setup, been running fine for nearly 2 years and close to silent too....just a shame they dont make any bigger ones.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut