Which Hard drive?

Syrus

OSNN Addict
Recently my IBM hard drive failed and now im looking for an 80GB hard drive what do u recommend must be ata133 and have about 8mb of cache memory and have a good seek time.

Thanks
Dan

I just bought a seagate 8meg 80 gig hd, havent installed it yet but after rebates it's $40 so I am not worried.

one of the western digital with the 8MB cache are nice i have the 120gig one and love it. can't wait until i can afford to get me another.

if u want ata133 u'd probably have to go with maxtor cuz i think most others are ata100

I have two maxtor plus9 160gb on a Raid 0 array and they've been running smoothly so I think they're good stuff but you'll always get someone who had a maxtor fail on them once and they'll bash maxtor until the day they die.

Maxtor = fastest but louder then the rest

Western Digital = Slower then maxtor, quieter, and "more reliable" (which i don't think is true since my brother and roommate's WD 120gb both died in the past week after half a year while my Maxtor has been running smooth for over a year)

Seagate = quietest but slower then both WD and Maxtor

I'm going to let you in on a little secret.

It doesn't matter which brand you buy, as long as it's one of the major brands (WD, Maxtor, Samsung, etc). They all perform exactly the same, and they're all prone to failure just like the others. One person will tell you to buy a Maxtor, while another tells you to buy a WD. But the truth is, it doesn't make any difference, as long as it has the specs you want.

Vector said:
I'm going to let you in on a little secret.

It doesn't matter which brand you buy, as long as it's one of the major brands (WD, Maxtor, Samsung, etc). They all perform exactly the same, and they're all prone to failure just like the others. One person will tell you to buy a Maxtor, while another tells you to buy a WD. But the truth is, it doesn't make any difference, as long as it has the specs you want.
very much true, actually. just be sure to get the particular brand's top-of-the-line parallel drive and not their value one. and take warranty lengths into consideration; any harddrive from any manufacturer can fail at any time.

Actually in terms of speeds- its been proven that Maxtor is faster then WD and Seagate 7200rpm drives through various benchmarks and Seagates are way quieter then Maxtor and WD- so they're not gonna perform the "same"- but i will agree with you that in terms of "what's gonna die on you", all have sizeable risks.

not so sure bout the queiter statements :)

the diamondmax's are quiet as are the WD offerings... older seagate offerings were also quiet but their new ones with higher spindle speeds do create a bit of a racket :)

best thing is to get grommets to kill the noise from vibrations :D

My maxtors are quiet to me as well but ive heard the seagate and I must admit they are a bit quieter, but I really don't know why people are so ambient about boasting the so called "huge difference". On a sidenote- Maxtor has software that can reduce the noise of their harddrives, lol ^_^

you're not going to see a noticeable real-world significant performance jump from one new parallel drive to another. but if you want the absolute fastest or quietest, check out www.storagereview.com. :cool:

no need to tell me that all hard drives are prone to fail, ive just had one fail..... and i know two ppl who have had maxtors fail but they would still recommend them and i don't mind if they are loud i got 4 fan noise and 2 from graphics card so i probably won't even tell.

How can anyone tell which drive is quieter in a 2 gig or higher system?

I haven't heard a hard drive in years. The damn CPU, video and case fans drown them out completly.

I haven't heard a hard drive in years. The damn CPU, video and case fans drown them out completly.

PS Avoid seagate. I've seen more of them fail than anything else.

LeeJend said:

PS Avoid seagate. I've seen more of them fail than anything else.

simple...

@ work we use reasonably quiet coolers... without the grommets we installed a few months ago the hdd's whine was clear... specially when seeking... now it is barely perceptible...

we are using enermax 300W psus which are pretty quiet and our cpu's are running reasonably quiet cpu's (intel rigs)

in my rig the loudest item is clearly the PSU... :) and thats not very loud either...

Buy whoever gives you a good warranty. All hard drives will fail eventually, and even a good brand can have bad batches; only the warranty matters.

I ditched 7200 RPM drives in favor of 5400 RPM because they are hotter, louder, and wear out faster--all because the faster speed generates heat, noise, and wears down moving parts.

I have Windows and my main apps on a 7200 RPM drive, but games, music, movies, and backup goes on the more reliable and quiet 5400.

BTW...One is a Western Digital, and one is a Samsung. No problems with either. And Sazar is right about grommets and the like.

well maxtor have a 3yr warenty *i think* unfortinatly my IBM only had a limited warenty because i bought it on b-grade stock

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back