Which hard drive should I get?

Eiji

OSNN Addict
I have 2 choices, can any of you knowledgable ppl tell me which is better and more reliable?

Seagate Barracuda 200GB UDMA100 8MB Cache 7200rpm ST3200822A - £80

Maxtor Diamond Max +9 200GB UDMA133/7200 8MB Cache 6Y200P0 - £77

Thanks.

I have both of them. Both work equally well. You won't go wrong with either one.

But one is UDMA100 and the other UDMA133?

Is that a big difference in performance?

Get the Maxtor, better reliability and a little more speed if your motherboard supports it.

No, 100 to 133 won't even be noticeable.

get the barracuda if you care about noise hehe - hate to confuse you - but have 120 Maxtor and 80 Baracudda here and I can HEAR the diff!

[edit] mean I COULD hear the diff when my rig was working :( :( [/edit]

You'll never get a 100% vote going one way or another on HD's. Myself I would go with the Maxtor but that because thats all I've ever used and haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood). :)

seagate is hast faster burst and sustained read speeds then the maxtor and is quieter :)

i think maxtor is better than seagate, i like western digital i own 4 WD hard drives
but if you're picking between those 2 go with the 133 and i heard that maxtor is pretty good

I personally like Seagate and Western Digital over Maxtor. I'm not a fan of Maxtor because of some past issues with their drives.

there is no right or wrong answer to this question. The best answer is to look at reviews also the warranty might be good to look at as well but its up to you which one you want as you saw you get people saying the seagate is better or the other way around, it comes down to what you feel is the best one for your money

Since Seagate offers 5 year warranties and Maxtor offers 1 year warranties, your decision should be easy.

Hard Drives are always an iffy subject, as I don’t know a single manufacturer who has not been complained about for issues with their drives. In most cases this is unfair for you got to remember a lot of drives are slightly damaged in transit which will shorten their lives considerably.
My personal choice (having been a happy Maxtor and Seagate customer) is at the moment go Seagate.

Here are my reasons
1. Noise the Seagate is much quieter, you might have a noise case anyway with lots of fast fans, but you will still be amazed how far the high pitch wine of Maxtor drives travels and even with a noisy case you will get a quieter experience
2. Packaging Seagate is ahead of the game in terms of packaging their “seashell” box essentially just an electronegative plastic box helps protect the drive from both electrostatic and impact/vibration damage
3. WARRANTY with hdd being so “temperamental” is makes sense to go for a company offering 3 years (I think rather than the original 5) cover rather than a measly 1 year

Hope This Helps:)

LOL prodj - is your sig accurate?! Time to upgrade your HDs I think and this time make it so your sig can last for FIVE years, not ONE? !!! :) ;) :p

lol..i own 2 maxtors but when i get a new hd in the future (maybe in 4months) im gonna go with the seagate barracudas!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back