Which graphics card?

S

sacred2nite

Can someone please tell me what is a good graphics card for me as I want to replace my Geforce 2. My mobo only has 4x AGP. Will this be a problem? Also should I go for 64mb or 128mb version? Is there a big difference in performance?
Thanks guys

Originally posted by sacred2nite
Can someone please tell me what is a good graphics card for me as I want to replace my Geforce 2. My mobo only has 4x AGP. Will this be a problem? Also should I go for 64mb or 128mb version? Is there a big difference in performance?
Thanks guys

need more details ie.. what will you use the card for... what is your price range... what additional things will you like your card to have.. what resolution do you expect to be playing at ?

the additional memory just allows more textures to be loaded to your memory... ie.. you have better frame rates @ higher resolutions and with AA and AF turned on as well you have better frame rates.. or should be smoother frame rates...

i want the best card possible for around £100, will go to £130 max. The card will be used for gaming.
Thanks

The new 8X cards will run fine in 4X AGP mobo's and so far there is no real speed difference with 8X anyway. At this point in time no games take advantage of 128m cards and some 64m cards actually benchmark a little better (they usually have faster memory). But that should change in the future. Avoid Nvidia MX cards if you plan on gaming.

That said, unless you want state of the art, you can get Nvidia TI4200 128m class cards for less than $120 that work well. These can be easily overclocked to almost TI4600 specs. I'm sure the ATI crowd can suggest similiar solutions.

2 cards I would recommend...

either get a nvidia gf4 ti 4200 card... or get an ati 8500/9100 series card... 9000pro if the others are too expensive.. (do not buy the 9000 NON-pro if you can help it)

all are decent gamers and all are around 100quid... and all have extras :) like tv-out..

I am not a fan of the 5200 series m8...

they are basically hyped for their dx9 features... but consider that you can't really play dx9 games on cards whose performance is as bad as that...

consder them a last resort if you can't get your hands on a gf4ti 4200 and if that is out of the range none of the other cards recommended...

the gf FX 5200 == a rather poor performer in comparison to all the other cards mentioned..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back