Which edition of Vista should I buy?

Well I am sure it will once official drivers are released but face tracking doesn't work, no video effects, I can't easily capture video, zoom/pan/tilt feels a little incomplete.

There were some beta drivers on Connect around RC1 stages but the drivers were pulled - installing the latest XP drivers lets me at least talk to people using it.

I am a patient early adopter :)

I haven't had any problems with x64 so far. Guess I just have to stick ALL my hardware in and see if any driver problems pop up.

Still can't decide whether to go 32-bit or 64. :p

Since I built my server with the x64 flavor of Server 2003 and Exchange 2007 I am going to go with Vista x64.

I should to be honest :)
Next time I format, I wil lswitch over I guess.

When Vienna is here people won't have choices, as this is supposed to be the last 32-bit OS MS will develop.

I'd say this is the case too, as there is no longer much reason for people to stay with 32-bit. All major apps and games are getting some pretty big pulling power to go to 64-bit. All MS need to do now is to actually build something in 64 bit for its consumer systems (i.e. Office) to start their side of the movement.

Like I said 64bit is still at least 2 years away maybe more as far as mainstream goes.

The server line has already eliminated the choice. "Longhorn" will be x64 only (as is Exchange even though you can download a VHD that will work under x86).

I've not had any problems with x64 XP with the exception of USB not working when SCSI Pass Through Device is installed.

I am tempted to get Vista because of the improved performance but I just got my system the way I want it and dont want to have to reinstall windows all over again :p

I am tempted to get Vista because of the improved performance but I just got my system the way I want it and dont want to have to reinstall windows all over again :p
You could set up a dual-boot first and switch over gradually. Or you could create a disk image of your current XP setup, and install Vista; then, if you need to come back to XP, the restoration process takes less than 15 minutes. :)

You could set up a dual-boot first and switch over gradually. Or you could create a disk image of your current XP setup, and install Vista; then, if you need to come back to XP, the restoration process takes less than 15 minutes. :)

Already dual booting x64 and FreeBSD so new Windows install will screw that over as well. But I've already got my system backed up with Acronis TrueImage onto a secondary hard drive. So I guess its not exactly unfeasible.

Now some of the prices have settled, I'm seeing Vista Home Premium boxed
£190 ! I'm confused why would anyone pay that for a boxed version, when
you can get "OEM" for £66. :rolleyes: I suppose you get manual in 50 different languages included in boxed version!

Geezer.

The OEM you wont be able to do much in the way of upgrades in your machine it is locked down to only a few minor changes without having to call and beg Microsoft to activate it .

Now some of the prices have settled, I'm seeing Vista Home Premium boxed
£190 ! I'm confused why would anyone pay that for a boxed version, when
you can get "OEM" for £66. :rolleyes: I suppose you get manual in 50 different languages included in boxed version!
Geezer.

Where did you see it for £190? Was that the Upgrade edition?

Also, as the prices seemt to be a lot cheaper in the States is there anywhere that imports them to the UK?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back