Which Distribution

N

Not Bman

I have Knoppix V4.0.2 & Ubuntu 5.10. Which I have gotten from recent research. I just don't know which one I should use? In your opinons which one do you like more, or find better.

Thanks

Also, how much space do this distributions need. I'm a windows user (yes Iv used Linux before, I know enough alrigh) and I have just desided to fool around with linux, so I have an extra 12GB harddrive laying around, thought I'd use that. Will that be enough?

Ubuntu is a good one. SuSE is another one that you could try.
And yes, 12GB of space is fine. :)

I know there are many, pretty much I have broken it down to Ubuntu & Knoppix, so I kinda want peoples ideas about these 2.

Thanks man

Knoppix is known for its Live CD. I don't know of many people using Knoppix as a main distro. As far as Ubuntu is concerned, I would have to do with that. It's debian based so installing applications on it is fairly simple (apt-get) and using it is even simpler. For a person who is looking for an easy-to-use Linux OS, I would have to go with Ubuntu.

I'm using the Knoppix Live CD right now, pretty cool, but I'm going to install Ubuntu on my harddrive tommorow. I don't know what it is about linux, the feel, the look, I dunno. I'm too much of a windows user right now to make it my main OS, but I'm for sure gonna keep playing around with it.

Cool.

Trying to play music right now, program opens up and says its playing, but no sound?

Help

Alsa is usually muted by default. Open up a terminal and type alsamixer, then use M to unmute the channels. Then use alsactl store to save your settings after a reboot, atleast that should work, I never really liked Ubuntu, so I don't have that much experience with it.

I'd stear away from Ubuntu from a user support perspective. Its "Over-secure" by deault setup means you have more steps to take if you happen to break it.

Ask MFG about the fun we had fiing his 3 Ubuntu workstations when he broke ubuntu... :p

I recommend PCLinuxOS (PCLOS for short). Reason why, it is very easy. It is a live CD and installable CD all in one..... and is only one CD to download. PCLOS just works. It comes with all of the multimedia plugins installed which is a huge plus. It uses Synaptic to upgrade/download software from the repositories which is very easy to use.

But, all-in-all there are ton of different differnt disrobutions, all just a "smidget" (is that a word) different. Good luck with your choice.

Bman: there is no "Best".

I'd settle on suse 10, Fedora core 4 (soon 5), Gentoo or Slackware.

If you feel brave and want to try FreeBSD (similar to linux but different) I dont think it'd be too hard to get up and running.

So, I got lazy with downloading, and I already had Ubuntu. So I installed it and so far I'm liking it alot. Clean, nice and easy. I'll most likly post back in I run into problems.

Thanks everything, I guess If I get bored of this one I can always install all those other ones!

I know what I was wanting to ask, I remember awhile back on these forums there was the List of Programs for Windows, and what works on linux and what dosent, and then replacement programs.
Does anybody know where I can find that now?

Bman™ said:
I know what I was wanting to ask, I remember awhile back on these forums there was the List of Programs for Windows, and what works on linux and what dosent, and then replacement programs.
Does anybody know where I can find that now?
http://www.osnn.net/forum/showthread.php?t=713

It was two years ago. Of course, by now, the link in that thread is dead, and most, if not all of the posts are outdated. :D

Most links dont work and very confusing, thats not the thing I remember. I remember an accual List, LIke WINDOWS | LINUX

and under neath lists all programs and games that work on windows and what works on linux..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back