which defrag util

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
now depending on who you speak to, depends on whether or not they tell you defraging a drive is worth it - well this thread isnt for that :)

its that time again when i need to purchase a defrag tool and im open to peoples suggestions - diskeeper did me well for years but i feel its because bloated and not doing as good a job as it ones was.

i have heard of that tool - will give it a look over thanks

to be honest, I use both.. my laptop was loaded with Diskeeper (since gone in my last reload as I don't know where I put my backup media..), my desktop at home is running perfectDisk.

Both do a good job and do what they are supposed to do. I, personally, liked having Diskeeper running the background (Invisitasking or something) but felt that perfectDisk might have done a little better job on the actual manual runs through the defrag.

Can a defrag program remove important files?

I just ran Draggler (analyze) and it has alot of my .mov video files, and adobe templates/images and things like that on the list...

whats the deal....do they all do that..

yeh PD 2009 has pretty colours.... must be good eh?:laugh:

Of course!

It's good in its own right. The pretty colours just helps :)

I would suggest JkDefrag 3.33 its Free GNU software and works great. never had any issues using it on a windows box.

http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/

Defraggler 1.01.050 Beta by the makers of CCleaner.

I have tested it on a windows box and works well also. small not bloated.

http://www.defraggler.com/

I guess the question is if you are looking for more options that would be for server boxes, Perfect Disk or Diskeeper are two well known and respected pieces of software.

i already have jkdefrag - just having a look abut to see what else there is before i have to spend more cash buying the software if required, just bought a new pc so that has hit the wallet a bit hard :)

No one answered my question

"Can a defrag program remove important files?

I just ran Draggler (analyze) and it has alot of my .mov video files, and adobe templates/images and things like that on the list...

whats the deal....do they all do that.."

best to find a defrag program based on M$ API's (diskeeper/perfectdisk/jk)
this way its not the defrag program moving the files..the defrag program basically tells windows to move the files (safest way)

This quote is from the Site:>> Defraggler gives you the power to select individual files and folders to defrag. So you can get the job done in seconds, rather than waiting for the whole drive to complete. Of course if you want to defrag the whole drive Defraggler will let you do that too.

so The files that are shown after the analyze are the files on your drive that are fragmented. so you dont have to do the whole drive

there actually was a bug where the ms api's did infact corrupt files, that api was patched though

I have never heard of a file becomming corrupt or lost during a defrag, the possibility is the same as loosing a file while you are moving it yourself

that's all the defrag's do, they move data just as if you were doing it through the gui, I think it's probably even safer then moving files through the interface because there is one fewer layers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back