Which CPU?

ming

OSNN Advanced
I'm looking to find a replacement for my 1GHz laptop. However, I'm not sure which would be the better choice out of the following:

1. Intel P4 3GHz
2. Intel Centrino 1.7GHz

Also, is the Pentium M processor the same as (or equivalent to) a Centrino?

Firstly you have to make sure your mobo supports the processor.

not worried about that... as i say.. im looking for a replacement for my laptop as in getting a new machine.

(I wonder why my post count has dropped below 1300 :confused: )

Which one do you mean? P4 or PM?
I read somewhere that PM uses centrino stuff.... and is somewhat better than a P4.

ming said:
I'm looking to find a replacement for my 1GHz laptop. However, I'm not sure which would be the better choice out of the following:

1. Intel P4 3GHz
2. Intel Centrino 1.7GHz

Also, is the Pentium M processor the same as (or equivalent to) a Centrino?

I have the new core of the 1.7 Centrino in my Sony Laptop, apparently it's supposed to run like a 3.4P4. So, I'd get the 1.7, considering the fact that I did. :)

Black-Syth said:
I have the new core of the 1.7 Centrino in my Sony Laptop, apparently it's supposed to run like a 3.4P4. So, I'd get the 1.7, considering the fact that I did. :)
I was hoping that this was somewhat true. :)
Couldn't decide whether to choose a Sony P4 3GHz £1999~ or a Centrino / PM 1.7 £1400-1700~

Still unsure about Pentium M and Centrino though... thinking they are totally different.

ming said:
I was hoping that this was somewhat true. :)
Couldn't decide whether to choose a Sony P4 3GHz £1999~ or a Centrino / PM 1.7 £1400-1700~

Still unsure about Pentium M and Centrino though... thinking they are totally different.

I believe that PM and Centrino are the same thing.

The pentium m is part of the centrino platform. Centrino is not a cpu. Centrino is Intel's combinations of Pentium M, mobo, and wireless networking.

dreamliner77 said:
The pentium m is part of the centrino platform. Centrino is not a cpu. Centrino is Intel's combinations of Pentium M, mobo, and wireless networking.
Thanks for the confirmation.

dreamliner77 said:

I was going to say that, but I didn't want to sound stupid. :) Also, nice avatar. I was just playing "Don't Fear the Reaper" last night on guitar while my friend emulated the cowbell on his Korg. :p

themafia_69 said:
get an amd 64 laptop!

I'd recommend it, but those are bulky as ****. My Centrino VAIO is big, but my 3200+ eMachines is gargantuan. I prefer the Centrino.

big is back in style, yes it can get annoying, but i would rather have a something i want than rather be suck with something just because it is smaller, im waiting till i get to college ill probably wanna get a desktop and a laptop

Pentium M with Centrino Technology: That's a very powerful processor. I'd go with that.
Plus it doesn't use up as much energy as a P4 Laptop.

As far as I know, Sony don't sell AMD laptops. And I think they're the only one that have WiFi, memory stick, firewire built-in on their machines.... not to mention bluetooth on a few too.

1GHz isn't enough for you? What you want to play games/video editing or somthing on your laptop?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back