Which Codecs pack recommended?

can someone tell me why vlc doesn't use codecs and why other players don't do it too?

is there something lost in the quality when there's no codec?

The codecs are built into it. The only thing I don't like about VLC is the sound quality, I think it sux to say the least ..

can someone tell me why vlc doesn't use codecs and why other players don't do it too?

is there something lost in the quality when there's no codec?

Like those above stated, VLC uses codecs, they are just contained to it's install folder instead of your system folder like a "codec pack" does. This makes them not mess with the rest of your system and are as easy to remove as deleting the VLC folder. :)

thanx petros, johnny and xie, now I get it but here's what I still don't get;

whenever there is a new codec vlc is still able to play the piece, othre players are not, in addition, vlc at least tries to play anything you throw at it, other players won't even give it a go

so what's up with THAT?

why aren't other players capable of that too?

Last edited:
probably more down to the way the program is coded perris - probably uses a link to a more up-to-date codec repository.

As to the attempt to play things that may not work - its probably easier not to code that which is why not many developers put it in.

VLC just uses outdated versions of the codec libraries found in FFDshow.

All who claim not to use CCCP and go direct to fffdshow, hali splitter, etc - have you looked at CCCP? It is ffdshow, hali splitter and directvobsub (for subtitle display). Just saves you a boatload of hassle.

VLC just uses outdated versions of the codec libraries found in FFDshow.

All who claim not to use CCCP and go direct to fffdshow, hali splitter, etc - have you looked at CCCP? It is ffdshow, hali splitter and directvobsub (for subtitle display). Just saves you a boatload of hassle.

Yeah, I tried it and didn't like it. I took that and k-lite out, back to VLC I am and happy :)

Mark me down as a FFDshow + MPCHC user as well. I've never had a format that I can't play with this combo. It's also lean without any unneeded fluff so I feel comfortable with it. I've had terrible luck with the k-lite codec pack in the past and I'd not touch any self proclaimed codec pack with a 10 foot pole.

I still say that VLC is the best.

I have had VLC come back and say no codec available, mainly on a new install. I think VLC just does a better job of finding codecs scattered around your system.

A free program can't offer liscensed codecs. They either have to be knock offs which may have reduced quality, or scrounged off your disk.

That said, there is still nothing that comes close to VLC for playing everything.

Wow, this topic is still going.

The big names in packs and codecs have been said. It's all opinion at this point.

That is right, it is all based on preference. My preference is that VLC is the best :p

Here is a related new question.

Between the codec packages. Which ones are updated more often? I know CCCP is maybe once a month, maybe once every 2 months.

The thing I find annoying is that CCCP does not update often enough, because FFDShow updates all the FRAKKING time and its annoying lol

I went out on a limb here. I did reinstall of windows 7 and k-lite codec pack basic installed, and have wmp as my main video player. It is working like a charm. I haven't had any conflicts yet. So we will see how this works out ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back