Which Codecs pack recommended?

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi all,

I know that a lot of you here are not big fans of codec packs, but is there a good one out there recommended?

So far, looks like a Combined Community Codec Pack version 2009-09-09 (without the media player installed), QT Lite 3.1.1, and VLC media player 1.0.5 seems to be a great combo.
I also removed Windows media player 11 from my install all together too.

Your thoughts?

Heeter

I use CCCP beta all the time (movaxserv 3z)

and QT Lite to replace Quicktime. You don't need VLC if you install CCCP, because that installs MCPHC.

Hey Thanks Bman, didn't know about the beta releases for cccp. Thanks for the link!

I am using VLC as it plays .m2ts files, without issues. MCPHC doesn't play .ts and .m2ts files, neither does WMP, I found out.

EDIT: Looks like Smplayer will work with cccp. VLC works on it's own filters.

Heeter

Last edited:
I play .ts files and .m2ts files just fine in MCPHC.

On my Windows 7 system I have FFDShow, Haali Media Splitter, and Quicktime installed. I can player whatever I need to. I used to use QT Lite but it's such a pain to repeatedly install/unintall and replace with QT Lite when dealing with updating iTunes that I gave up on using QT Lite. Needless to say, I wouldn't touch CCCP or most of the existing codec packs with a 10 foot pole. I've seen codec packs cause more problems than they are worth. Between the three things I mentioned and using WMP12, VLC, Media Player Classic - HomeCinema, and Arcsoft TMT3, I have no issues playing any media.

why bother with codec packs? vlc plays pretty much everything out of the box.. and if you have any preferred codecs, download MPC HC and those you want. :)

On my Windows 7 system I have FFDShow, Haali Media Splitter, and Quicktime installed. I can player whatever I need to. I used to use QT Lite but it's such a pain to repeatedly install/unintall and replace with QT Lite when dealing with updating iTunes that I gave up on using QT Lite. Needless to say, I wouldn't touch CCCP or most of the existing codec packs with a 10 foot pole. I've seen codec packs cause more problems than they are worth. Between the three things I mentioned and using WMP12, VLC, Media Player Classic - HomeCinema, and Arcsoft TMT3, I have no issues playing any media.

QT Lite updates from just installing over previous version.

Never had any problems with CCCP, the other packs sure I agree.

I'm surprised no one uses Klite Codec Pack. It includes QT/Realtime Alternative and MPC flavours. I've been using it for years with no problems. Probably mostly useless codecs but its got lots and is updated frequently.

I've never been a fan of VLC... I use MPC because it is simple, fast, and has no playback problems with my media.

Probably because many people here have had issues with Klite in the past. As any codec pack, certain people have issues with them and never use them again. All depends on your system and what you do.

K-lite is a conflict of interest when it comes to codecs. There are more issues with them then anything. Personally, I use VLC. As it plays everything right out of the box. I will check out that cccp ..

I go with no codec packs, if VLC won't play it then it's not for me. :)

K-lite is a conflict of interest when it comes to codecs. There are more issues with them then anything. Personally, I use VLC. As it plays everything right out of the box. I will check out that cccp ..

I agree about the K-Lite pack.

I go with no codec packs, if VLC won't play it then it's not for me. :)

You make a valid point. The reason I use FFDShow is that it's stable and reliable, is constantly improved, and doesn't install garbage. More importantly, a vast number of software requires FFDShow, Haali Media Splitter, and/or AviSynth to be installed (ie BD Rebuilder).

With regard to CCCP or K-Lite or whatever other codec pack, I just won't touch them, period. If something won't play with FFDShow, Haali Media Splitter, VLC, etc, installed then I'm not interested in playing games to make it play unless it's as simple as using MediaCoder to convert it to another format. I hate the MediaCoder UI but the program is very versatile and it's freeware. If the file cannot be played and it cannot be converted then it just gets binned.

Last edited:
I tried CCCP Codecs and took it out to go back to VLC .. It reminded me too much of K-lite with a different name ...

k-lite puts things in that conflict with other things. VLC is the only thing you need on any OS ..

Needless to say, I wouldn't touch CCCP or most of the existing codec packs with a 10 foot pole. I've seen codec packs cause more problems than they are worth. Between the three things I mentioned and using WMP12, VLC, Media Player Classic - HomeCinema, and Arcsoft TMT3, I have no issues playing any media.

I am trying something here - I installed the new klite basic. I am only using wmp to play my movies and videoes. So far it is working pretty well. I am going to let it ride and see where it takes me here ..

weird.... i've never had any kind of issues with the K-Lite codec packs..... be it earlier ones or more recent ones.

can someone tell me why vlc doesn't use codecs and why other players don't do it too?

is there something lost in the quality when there's no codec?

I like the K-Lite mega codec pack. It comes with everything you need to play anything, and with a high-end home theater setup, having a ton of options in FFDshow has been wonderful. I've tried some other codec packs (including CCCP), but K lite mega codec pack has been the most hassle-free.

It also comes with real alternative. If it had QTlite too, I'd call it perfect.

can someone tell me why vlc doesn't use codecs and why other players don't do it too?

is there something lost in the quality when there's no codec?
It does use codecs (otherwise the media files won't decode), but they are included when you install it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back