Which Broadband Interface?

S

stuy_b

Yeehaw.. finally my local telephone company has released broadband, which Im getting connected this Friday (20th sept). I can finally get rid of this shi*e! AOL software.

Funnily enough I will be paying the same price s I am for AOL, but for broadband! cool :D

OK my question is this.. In all the bumf (literature) that came about broadband it says I can either have a NIC card fitted or USB connection.

Im kinda thinking going with the USB option, should I ??

Yes, I have spare USB port, yes my other USB devices work A-OK.

TIA

is up to u really, not going to see any difference in speed with either with just broadband.

:cool:

doesnt matter either way. Last I heard there were some problems with the Alcatel SpeedTouch USB (the blue stingray thing) something about software or firmware versions.
If you go with a USB one, but not the SpeedTouch USB then you need to make sure that it supports G.DMT, PPPoA.

For the UK goto http://www.dslsource.co.uk <- you can read info about the different pieces of ADSL hardware that will work in the UK.

Not all ADSL Hardware works in the UK it has to be PPPoA, there are quite a few that are PPPoE only. I think this is due to the normal protocol in the US being PPPoE, I am not sure about the rest of Europe.

I have a Belkin USB nic interface on one of my machines. It seems to do OK.

i just use a pci nic card, i'd rather keep my usb ports open for something more important.

wtf is more important than an Internet connection on a computer?

:cool:

Originally posted by dijital
i'd rather keep my usb ports open for something more important.

thats why you get a computer with 6 usb 2.0 ports :p

I dont sujest using USB, i do, and i'm not really seticfied with it.
if you have a choise, then dont.

I used to work @ an ISP's helpdesk. Back then the ISP sold only Alcatel's equipment. The modem that gave the least problems was the ALcatel Speedtouch Home connected to a NIC. There were some issues with the Speedtouch USB on Windows 2000 and 95 with USB support, but the worse modem was the SpeedTouch Internal PCI modem.

That's just my first hand experience with dsl modems.

Hope that helps

Greetz
Lukas

The 1 that come's with Telewest broadband rule's cause my mate's BT adsl is slow compared to mine and my other who has freeerve broadband is the same has BT and Telewest is the best Broadband out so far

these is the 1 i got with Telewest,Blueyonder lol

SB4100_Modem.jpg
SB4100_w_box.jpg

Some of the SURFboard SB4100 External Cable Modem features are:

DOCSIS 1.0 and 1.1 CableLabs® Certified
USB network connectivity; 10/100BaseT Ethernet (auto-sensing)
Front panel standby button for enhanced security
Up to a 100 times faster than a 28.8k analog phone modem*
Supports up to 32 users (1 via USB and up to 31 via Ethernet)
Front panel LEDs for easy troubleshooting
Internal power supply
Utilizes Broadcom BCM3350 chip
5x faster processor to handle QoS (Quality of Service) and advanced IP filtering
Remote management via SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol)

I have a motorola SB4100 connected through a USB port. In over a year it hasn't let me down, my ISP has, but the modem has been fine. The fact I get twice the speed that I pay for makes me think I shouldnt change it =)

Hey if they want to double my speed I'm not gonna tell them about it :p I'll just sit here and cain down some isos and movies =)

I'll damn tell em!!!
well i wont, but i could, which is the point :p

Pfffttt... and to think of what I have downloaded for you!!

I bite my thumb at you.

YOU BITE YOURE THUMB AT ME SIR!??!?!?!??!

I can't think of anything you've ever downloaded for me!
I rely on my trusty 56k :p
/me runs orf

COFF Mandrake COFF Gabber (Oke.. you never actually got the files but they were there dag nammit!) COFF

pah, i dis-own mandrake because its not k-rad enough :p :p :p
And i'd forgot about them thar gabber, where they on the HD oli has now ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back