Which Brand for sata II?

Kush

High On Life!
thinking of getting an sata II drive and using it externally, (i might use it later on though as an internal thats why sataII) im ganna probably go for a 500, usualy i know there isnt much difference but what would you go for? has there been any drastic change (good or bad) in any of the major brands?

Honestly, right now, SATAII is a marketing ploy unless you have a 10,000 RPM drive. Your speed limitation is going to be the seek time, not the cabling.

Honestly, right now, SATAII is a marketing ploy unless you have a 10,000 RPM drive. Your speed limitation is going to be the seek time, not the cabling.

Like Brad said... it is more a marketing ploy thus far... Western Digitals Raptor series SATA I drives are still the fastest harddrives around, unless there has been a VERY recent change...

If you need a very fast drive... any of the raptor series will do just fine, the exception to that is the size you are looking for, last I looked they only had a EDIT: 150GB model as their largest one...

SEE HERE

Last edited:
If you want a lot of space at a very fast rate, your best bet is to get 2 Raptors and set them up in a Raid0. It is not going to be cheap, but that is the best performance that you are going to get.

If you want a lot of space at a very fast rate, your best bet is to get 2 Raptors and set them up in a Raid0. It is not going to be cheap, but that is the best performance that you are going to get.

Heh

Yea I know I have two of the first gen 36GB Raptors in Raid0

:D

RAID 0 is all when and good until one of the drives in your stripe set fails and you lose ALL the data on all the drives in the array set.

RAID 0 is all when and good until one of the drives in your stripe set fails and you lose ALL the data on all the drives in the array set.

Nope...

Sure it has no "R" if thats all you depend on... thats what backup software like Ghost or Acronis is for...

Im a gamer... I dont care abour redundancy, Plus I rebuild my PC many times a year to get rid of bloatware and the like...

Regardless of what ALL NAY-sayers have to say about RAID0 NOTHING come close for sheer performance...

N O T H I N G ...

it simply can't be debated... :)

I have two WD Raptor X (150GB, 10000RPM, 16MB Cache) setup in a RAID 0. FAST doesn't begin to describe it.

I never said anything about the performance. A RAID 0 will always out perform pretty much any other configuration in sustatined throughput tests. (A RAID 1+0 with a good dual channel card can be better on reads though and almost as good on writes.. that's raid1+0, not RAID 0+1.. there is a difference between the two).

Although, in a "typical" home user/gamer system, the performance gain is actually quite minimal. Video editing and such probably gains the most from a "home" user perspective from a RAID 0 performance.

Granted, most people over here on OSNN are anything but "typical" home users :)

I have two WD Raptor X (150GB, 10000RPM, 16MB Cache) setup in a RAID 0. FAST doesn't begin to describe it.

I have been thinking about investing and buying two of those for Raid 0, what kind of numbers do you get? Have you ran HDtach?

Right now I just have a single 74gb Raptor and a 80GB Seagate. The 74gb raptor is great, but I am never against 300GB of highspeed raptor fun!

Aprox -- I haven't run ANY benchmark type programs to guage my system. I will do this prior to upgrading to Vista which should be next month.

well it was more of an external hard drive type of thing with all my stuff on it. just wanted to get one that will not be out of date in the next month lol, btw a bit off topic but i never set up raid is it easy to do incase i wanna do it on my next desktop pc, im pretty sure i googled it a couple of times, and just saw the basics, i remember like having to a floppy maybe in the windows setup?

you have to have a RAID controller as well as configure that RAID controller to have the correct RAID settings (including stripe size and RAID type)

Pretty intuitive to figure out.

All you harping on about the raptors do know that seagates perpendicular disks are just a few MB/sec slowet at 7200RPM, much lower price point for the non-flagship capacity and are much more reliable as a result of pure mechanics?

Also RAID0 is not recommended unless you are religious abou tkeeping important data backed up regularly. If wasn't I'd have been up the creek when one of my 2 intitial hitachi 250GB's died 2 days after being bought and setup in RAID0 :)

Everyone keeps saying Raid0 is not reliable, well if you buy quality HD's then its not really a problem. The raptors are server class HD's are are built like tanks. If they ever go out you have a five year warranty to cover a full replacement.

I think most peoples problem is that they try to cut corners and save money when building a PC so they buy the cheapest HD they can find. Bad Idea.

Raptors are #1 for a reason, Performance, reliability and quality. Hands down the fastest drives around. They really are not that expensive either, you can pick up the new 150GB model for less than $200.00 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136012

Yes they are more expensive per Gigabyte then other SATA or PATA drives, but its more than worth the cost imho. Especially if you are a gamer and/or a Video editor/compositor such as myself.

The greater the number of hard drives, the greater the probability of one of the drives failing.

I've head all kinds of drives fail. Try working in a corporate environment in a datacenter with hundreds of servers and thousands of hard drives. I used to work at a place like that. We had at least one drive fail somewhere about every 3-4 months.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back