Which 8800

Did you remove ONLY the display drivers?

If your board is Nvidia then you are given many options of what drivers to remove. Kinda sounds like you removed all drivers and not just the display ones.

I think i removed all drivers, how do I add them again if I can't use a keyboard or mouse?

boot in safe mode, see if the drivers will install under that, thats if the kb and mouse work under safe mode, they should do

I tried that and mouse and keyboard still don't work under safemode.

If I boot into a USB stick with the latest chipset drivers on it, will it install it where it needs to be? Or does it not work like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
it should default back to standard drivers for the keyboard and mouse, are the lights on on the kb when the pc is booting up, and have you tried unpluggin and plugging the keyboard and mouse when windows has booted

The keyboard works in BIOS and anything before windows.

In windows there are lights sometimes, sometimes not. Both ways it does not work.

I have tried booting without anything pluged in, pluging in after windows is on, and so on.

and is it chipset or bios drivers i need?

thats really weird

mm.. even if u uninstalled the chipset drivers, the mouse and kb should still work... (hell, even if u uninstall the mouse and kb drivers they should still work)

maybe u need to do some sort of repair of the os?

thats really weird

mm.. even if u uninstalled the chipset drivers, the mouse and kb should still work... (hell, even if u uninstall the mouse and kb drivers they should still work)

maybe u need to do some sort of repair of the os?

If I run the windows repair (from the cd) will I lose any data or programs or anything?

If that does not help, can I run normal drivers from usb? Will they install?

its always wise to backup your data, this is a strange one though, windows should default to standard drivers for chipset and keyboard

So I went a head and was going to try a system repair, yet when the WinXP cd loads and i press enter, it says no hard drives can be found.

They are there in BIOS,and I can load into windows, how is it not there.

Could I have damaged my motherboard when removing and adding the videocards?

it sounds like something is corrupted, but i have never heard of uninstalling driver files doing this, only other thing i can think of yet you cant do as the kb and mouse dont work under safe mode would have been to go to c:\windows\inf and look at all the oem.inf files for nvidia and remove them then reboot, because it sounds like its looking at the inf files for nvidia stuff but the nvidia files arent there.

one other thing, in the bios do you have an option for setting the size of the video card memory ? try changing it from 256 (norm 64 if default) to 512, only other thing i can think of is the video card is asking for 512 meg of ram but only being given 256 and its a mem thing, last time i couldnt use the usb ports on my intel box was where the driver didnt install correctly, luckly i have ps2 and usb ports on there :)

Well crappy thing is I just thought maybe somehow it was the new card, so I put the old card in and still the same problem.

I think I am screwed, some how I must of damaged the motherboard phyically.

if you are getting no error beeps when it boots and it loads windows, and the leds on the keyboard light up then the keyboard is getting power, then the board isnt screwed, it just soulnds like windows cannot find drivers for the usb hub, which would be installed when you install the nvdia sortware.

is this pc on a lan? and do you have remote desktop or any kit like that on it ?

If the drive is SATA then maybe you need to load drivers (F6) during the XP setup.

Umm, bad feeling. Is it an Nvidia chipset MB by any chance?? If yes, some other drivers may have gotten tromped on. REinstall of chipset drivers may help.

Other possibility is if the battery was old the CMOS might have taken a dump during the reinstall. Hopefully you don't have a raid array and you can just reset the bios defaults. If you have raid be careful doing a bios default or cmos reset.

Third idea, if the MB shifted during nstall it may be shorted. Loosen the Mb mounting and re center the screw holes under the screw heads. Reseat power connectors, etc.

if you are getting no error beeps when it boots and it loads windows, and the leds on the keyboard light up then the keyboard is getting power, then the board isnt screwed, it just soulnds like windows cannot find drivers for the usb hub, which would be installed when you install the nvdia sortware.

is this pc on a lan? and do you have remote desktop or any kit like that on it ?

There is a beep at the beginning but I forget if that is normal. This PC is connected through other computers yes, and never tried remote desktop. I might give that a go, thats a very good idea.

Umm, bad feeling. Is it an Nvidia chipset MB by any chance?? If yes, some other drivers may have gotten tromped on. REinstall of chipset drivers may help.

Other possibility is if the battery was old the CMOS might have taken a dump during the reinstall. Hopefully you don't have a raid array and you can just reset the bios defaults. If you have raid be careful doing a bios default or cmos reset.

Third idea, if the MB shifted during nstall it may be shorted. Loosen the Mb mounting and re center the screw holes under the screw heads. Reseat power connectors, etc.

Yes it si a Nvidia chipset MB, I will now try to reinstall drivers from Remote desktop and see if that helps. I don't think the MB shifted but if Remote Desktop does not do it, I will try it.

I will get back to you guys shortly.

*EDIT

I just relised that the online remote desktop that I used to have on the computer is not installed anymore, so no way of using that. Does windows remote desktop have a way to get into a computer without setup or passwords or anything like that? Otherwise Remote desktop can't work. How am I suppose to get onto my computer?

Last edited by a moderator:
there is always one beep when the pc starts and that is normal, i have only just woke up, so will need sometime to get myself together and have a think on this little problem :)

So I ended up getting into Windows Repair place, did a repair installation.

At the beginning of the repair, it does a check of disks, and did some kind of fix/repair of my raid setup, and well. Went through, finished, I booted into windows. All all my VERY important information on that RAID setup was lost. I am unbelievably f**king PISSED right now and all my programs and such are also messed up, so I am doing a clean reformat and install of windows, since I lost everything I needed anyways.

I hate how all this **** happened because I was trying to do something extremely simple. All I wanted to do is enjoy a nice new top of the line videocard, but noo. Now some of you are probably going to say well thats why you back up. Well that RAID setup was my backup/storage. I guess I am going to have to get an external drive and do things correctly. It just sucks, 70GB of programs, videos, images, everything. At least I still have my archive of graphic design work and school. I GUESS thats important but I could care less about that stuff.

Bman, you really should have thought out the install a little better, tbh.

But, you live and you learn. Next time you won't make the same mistake :)

To make myself feel a little better I am blaming Nvidia, they should not allow to uninstall different stuff in the same uninstall dialog. DAMMIT

But yes, stupid mistake, and well I knew there were bad chances with the Repair but I didn't know what else 2 do.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back