wheres my bottleneck?

razor_ro

OSNN Addict
ok didnt know where to post so since i mainly care about games i put it in here,...... heres a ? for some techy's.... i currently have an athlon 2500+ with 2x256ddr pc2700 and a gf4ti 4200 128mb.... when i play some games (for them to run perfect) i have to disable MIRC and Active Desktop Calendar form the sys tray.... now, i wanna get an additional 512mb ram will that solve my laggy games? in other words would i still be able to play games flawlessly without disabling MIRC and ADC if i get an additional 512mb ram?? or is my bottleneck somehwere else??... my system specs are posted in my sig...thx

RaZoR

Originally posted by razor_ro
ok didnt know where to post so since i mainly care about games i put it in here,...... heres a ? for some techy's.... i currently have an athlon 2500+ with 2x256ddr pc2700 and a gf4ti 4200 128mb.... when i play some games (for them to run perfect) i have to disable MIRC and Active Desktop Calendar form the sys tray.... now, i wanna get an additional 512mb ram will that solve my laggy games? in other words would i still be able to play games flawlessly without disabling MIRC and ADC if i get an additional 512mb ram?? or is my bottleneck somehwere else??... my system specs are posted in my sig...thx

RaZoR

background apps can do weird things... even if they are small...

in general you should be fine playing games in SP...

in MP on the other hand... apps that are online... such as p2p software or MIRC can cause lag issues...

extra memory can and should help you... but you may be better off playing w/o MIRC at least...

What game is causing problems? What Driver are you using? Has this poblem only occurred recently? Do background apps affect performance of other apps or just games? Not enough info given :)

i kinda found the reason....

OK, first of all, just wanted to say thanx for the advice and suggestions, .... but i wanted to mention that i found out my bottleneck.... it is in MIRC and its a script called XDCC KLIPPER, its an amazing script (i think you guys probably already heard of it) but i had the old version which hogged your CPU, MIRC was using anywhere from 0-30% CPU :eek: .... so i found out there were newer versions and that they fixed the CPU hogging, so now it only hogs about 0-10% (at the most) so thats not bad,.... but even with that low of CPU hogging i still get a little tiny bit of lag,.... so is there something i can do like setting the PRIORITY LEVEL to LOW or BELOWNORMAL ... will that even help? or do you think i should even get more ram? ( i know that wont fix it, but will it help?) thx

RaZoR

ps... coathanger007 -> every (and mainly) games is causing this, using 52.16's

any internet application (mirc) running in background will hog bandwidth desperately need for online multiplayer.

Get a T1 or loose mirc while gaming.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back