Wheres all my space gone ????

R

Rooster

Hello,
My C: drive is reported as "3.43gb"
When I highlight all the files on C (including hidden) they all add up to 1.65gb ... but poperties says there is only 376mb free !!

So.... wheres the rest got to ?

Rooster

Ok, I missed the info !

WinXPpro
20gb HDD split into 4 partitions (3.5/5/3/8 gb)
512 Mb ram

I have tried turning off virtual memory (to see if any space is "put aside") there was little difference, so I have reset it to system managed.

Partition magic reports 3.1gb used as well .... but the files dont add up to nearly that much !!!!

Tried clearing your temporary internet files and history etc. ?

erm... this looks like a messed up file system... did u do any converting l8ly ?
i've had this problem like this and similar b4... (when i tried upgrading from xp pro to.... xp pro.. don't ask ;))
Try a scan disk and defrag... they normally fix up your HDD clusters...

MdSalih

rofl!! xp pro to xp pra hahaha!!...Humour me Rooster and go see if the other partitions are completely empty...

I think I've found it !!!!
I didn't realise that "show all files" still leaves hidden sys files hidden !!! the missing space is taken by the swap file... I have recently upped my memory to 512Mb so the swap file has grown too... to 786 Mb !!! does it REALLY have to be THAT big ???

Go to Accessories - System Tools - Disc Clean-up. Highlight the drive you want to clean (usually C). When you hit OK another tab will appear with further options. Select System Restore clean-up and press ok. A vast amount of extra space should now be made available to you.
:cool:

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back