where is ScanDisk

shiatsu

OSNN Addict
Having upgraded Win98 to WinXP I was surprised to find that Scandisk is nowhere to be seen in the programme menus.

Has this tool now been dropped? If so are Scandisk functions now covered by another WinXP system programme?

If the scandisk facility is no longer available is there a good freeware programme that does the same thing?

Thanks,
Alan

Originally posted by dreamliner77
use chkdisk. It's the same thing
Well, almost ;)

In XP, Microsoft reverted from the Windows based Scandisk to the old checkdisk (which runs from outside the GUI). Because of XP's proprietary nature with open files, disk utilities cannot perform any repair options from within the GUI since there are always some files open.

try going to my computer then right click on drive go to props. tools. that thing on top looks like a scan disk :)

I suppose that means that eventually I will have to buy yet another version of Norton Utilities!

I am using NTFS. Is NU safe on this kind of partition?

Alan

Yes, of course Norton is safe. But that won't work for you either. NO disk repair utility can work from within XP's interface. Norton Disk Doctor will identify problems for you, but if you want to repair it defaults to XP's checkdisk on the next boot.

i mostly always have security descrepincies when i run scan disc in norton,i euther run windows or norton controling windows fix setting at next boot and still i mostly have these errors
i have had two hardrives do this but no probs with them when running maxtors floppy with diang ostic proggs
my old drive was fried due to heat so my new set up with new drives has cooler on it,i seem to read into it its not a hardware fault but something to do with the fileing system and says windows will write corrective messures to disc.
is it just norton kidding on its doing some work as windows doesnt have a tool to check it but can fix it or do full fix with free space check
can anyone enlighten me more.

prob never spelt correct but u know what i mean

Originally posted by john30uk
i mostly always have security descrepincies when i run scan disc in norton.....
I believe that means you have XP's internal firewall off - is that the case with your system?

ALLAN u might have hit nail on head most time i do have it dissabled as i use norton,just now i dont have norton firewall reinstalled and only 1 hour ago turned on xp built in firewall,but i find it strange that when u look at note in norton on errors it finds it say windows will write corrective messures to drive or words to that effect.
I know some people that dont maintain there p.c and it scans ok in all cats and they rarely defragg or scandisk.
i think there will be more to this than meets the eye.

it lasted exactly 1 reboot allan,anymore thougth would be appriecated.

View attached desktop pic.

When you view the properties of the drive under "Tools" it is now called "Error Checking". When you click on it it will advise that the error check will be done the next time you boot up. When you do so a screen will come up advising you that a check has been called for and it will give you the option to quit. Let it go and it will do exactly the same thing as Scandisk etc and then on completion will boot normally.

thats the way i do do it i dont type scan disk command into run box i use the error fix tab on c-drive under tools

Originally posted by dreamliner77
use chkdisk. It's the same thing

CHKDISK is not like scandisk, its different, chkdisk just scanns disk for bad clusters and can rapir some

SCANDISK does that and more.

Originally posted by w0lv3rin3

CHKDISK is not like scandisk, its different, chkdisk just scanns disk for bad clusters and can rapir some

SCANDISK does that and more.
Ummm - no. Checkdisk does everything scandisk does, but it does it from outside the Windows Interface.

Open a command prompt from within XP and type: chkdsk /? for a list of switches that work with checkdisk.

checkdisk vs. scandisk

umm... allan, just to correct you on that previous statement. Checkdisk only scans for disk errors. scandisk checks for disk errors and also does a surface scan. trust me. went through it in school. at least i think that's what it was. not exacty sure, but pretty sure

Sorry, not true. If you run chkdsk /r it will scan for an repair bad sectors. I am sure. I didn't study it in school, but I've been using checkdisk since 1985.;)

BTW, you can go to a command prompt and type chkdsk /? and see all the available switches.

well chkdsk is only scanning for bad Sectors and Bad Clusters are a bit different, Clusters do more DMG towords the HDD.

and yes ckdsk and scandisk are a bit different

see chkdsk only does a surface scan, thats a quick scan, scandisk does a though scan, a huge scann threw your hole HDD.

and i belive chkdsk only does FAT FAT32 not other file systems

Right. Microsoft provided a tool that only checks fat partitions in an NT based OS. I don't think so.

so scandisk and checkdisk are comply different, pluse, checkdisk sucks scandisk is better

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back