Where did the icons go?

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
This makes me mad. One of my coworkers made some changes. Of course they don't know what they did or how they did it but at any rate they lost their my computer & recycle bin icons. I figured I could restore it in the "Display properties" > Desktop tab > Customize desktop button but I can't, the options are grayed out. I attached a screenshot, the blank places are where the icons used to be and you can see the grayed out part too. The icons show on all other profiles on that system and the guy is a member of both our domain admins and local admins. I can't figure out how to restore it. Any help would be great.

Attachments

• desktop.JPG
    desktop.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 74
What type of Start Menu are you using? If you are using the newer Windows XP Style, where you have the two columns, you should have a My Computer and a My Documents in the top right. If you do, just right-click on them and click on "Show on Desktop"

Tried that, they aren't showing on the start menu either.

I'll give it a try.... after lunch. He can wait for all I care! If this doesn't work I think TweakUI has a setting to fix icons ... can't remember for sure but I'll check.

Thanks.

I was going to suggest TweakUI as well, that may fix it.

To be honest, I think the person either maliciously or purposely messed with your registry a bit. He might have thought he was cool and tried to play a trick on you. Not sure of your setup on the PC, but since it's greyed out it's possible he also messed with your local security settings...

Before going into the registry, try this...

Start - Run - gpedit.msc

Under User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Desktop - Poke through there as well.

Note though, if you are on a domain or not a local admin this may give you problems.

OH SWEET ZOMBIE JESUS!!

The dude went and did a system restore. Which restored the icons for like 10 minutes. I tried to do the gpedit thing but it says he's not authorized. So I add him to the admins group (again) and he's still not authorized. So I make him a local admin and he's still not authorized. I have no idea what the problem is but my boss wants me to reformat.

I had a feeling that may happen, are you on a domain at work? If so, access to local policies is more than likely blocked if the Admin is anything worth his salt. Even if you could get there, and again assuming the Admins know what they are doing, any changes should be whiped when you reboot because Domain GPO should override that.

I would slap your co-worker for messing with your machine. That's messed up.

#1 - Kill co-worker tonight

#2 - TweakUI wouldn't replace those icons, only fixes the images used

#3 - Since you have done all those things, a reformat might be in need

So get this. Reformatted. Same problems.

I'm thinkings its got to be some domain policy thing but I can't check until the admin comes back in tomorrow.

If you just reformatted and it's still going on, it has to be that, or some crazy virus thing, maybe your ""co-worker"" is some crazy hacker lol

No crazy virus, wouldn't be an issue after a fresh format.

I think that either the Domain Admin changed something accidentally or purposely. Maybe he wanted to remove the icons for some reason and it was a coincidence that your co-worker used it at the same time. Thing is though that domain GPO changes require a logoff/logon to take effect mostly, did your co-worker do that?

I know that, no virus can stay after that, that's why i said "crazy virus" lol

He had to reboot after an install but the install is routine, the program runs on all the computers and has NEVER cause anything like this. The fact that the reformat didn't fix anything is a concern. I'll check with our network admin and see what is what tomorrow.

You could also do a format and then login to the PC before logging into the network. If it works then, and doesn't work when you login to the network, then you know it's something network related :)

Found out it was a policy issue. Someone (not sure who but I could guess) added them to a weird policy that hid their icons. I'm almost as curious about why we have such a dumb policy as I am about who put them into it.

Not really a weird policy, some people are true control freaks and want to have control over everything. This is also common practice when admins want everything saved to the desktop to ease folder re-direction and backup.

I never said it made sense, but I have seen environments do that before.

On a side note, makes me question your boss who wanted you to re-format in order to fix the issue. What is his job role?

Network admin. Great eh? It was one of his assistants that noticed the policy issue. Oh well, I told the user that I fixed his system and he's happy now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back