Where can I find a Service Pack or more importantly what does it do

3D_CG

Hello Everyone

Yes its true, I have no idea what a Service Pack does or where to get it from.

Using my Brain :rolleyes: Im guessing it fixes all possible errors you may have embedded into XP.

Im having an issue at the moment where my computer dials the Internet whenever Im disconnected. I dont even have to tell it too, it just does it :confused:

I deleted the ISP and reinstalled it and the problem still exists.
I scanned with Norton and no virus's were found.
I did accidently install Win 95 system32.dll files over the Dial Up ras files in the system32 folder. Will the Service Pack fix this????

I have tried every thing, Internet Settings, U name it I have tried it.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME

I dont have any spyware just a hidden program giving the wrong instructions

You should only post this problem once, not multiple times in different areas.

Try installing a firewall program like ZoneAlarm, it should tell you what program is trying to access the internet.

Hmm, you could try this:

start, run ... sfc /scannow

You will need the XP CD in the drive, should repair any corrupt/replaced files...

A service pack is a cumulation of all the critical and non-critical updates and other stuff into one download/installation. Because you're on dial-up, your best bet would be to wait until the service pack is available from the Windows Update site... it's big, and the service pack is still in beta testing.

Have you tried this, concerning your dial-up problem? Open Internet Explorer> Tools> Internet Options> 'Connections' tab. Experiment between the settings 'never dial a connection' and 'always dial my default connection.' See if either of those will stop that spontaneous dial-up issue.

I would not use a service pack again. (BETA) Here is why:
When you uninstall it it leaves the programs it upgraded UPGRADED meaning they'll crash due to no support. Sorta like using your computer when it is boiling hot out or over clocking too much.

---Rich

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back