where Can I download Doom?

Masaki

OSNN Newbie
I allready have the shareware version where can i download the full game

Isn't Doom still actively retailed by ID, and therefore not available for free download ?

If you own Doom 3 you can download the Classic Doom mod, which will eventually be a total port of the original Doom in the new Doom 3 engine. It looks superb.
Other than that, try that underdogs website, failing that the "collectors edition" of Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom is on amazon.co.uk for about £7, off the marketplace sellers.
It's also on amazon.com if you're in the states but it's a bit more expensive there.

SPeedY_B said:
Isn't Doom still actively retailed by ID, and therefore not available for free download ?
Is it? I thought all but the "wad" packs were free for Doom now?

The .WAD is the main part of the game (comparatively, I suppose it's the old version of a .pak file) and therefore are licensed the same as the game. If the game isn't free, the wad's aren't :)

ray_gillespie said:
If you own Doom 3 you can download the Classic Doom mod, which will eventually be a total port of the original Doom in the new Doom 3 engine. It looks superb.

Cool! Gonna have to try that sometime, I knew they were working on a Classic Doom mod, but I didn't know it was already released :D

It's still in Alpha at the moment but there's stuff there. When this is finished it's gonna be awesome!

EDIT: I've just had a quick look around and it looks like a beta has just been released, check it out here.

Last edited:
Just because id hasn't stopped selling the original Doom doesn't mean they haven't given it to public domain, open-source, or other similar channels. Doom has actually been released via GPL way back in 1997 ... yet they still sell it. The same has just recently been done to Quake 3. I'm guessing you can go download the source and create original Doom since no one seems to provide any compiled version.

I'm guessing they are probably charging for the ammm ... materials. :laugh:

Source and the compiled game are completely different. Compiling the source would leave you with no levels, textures, or anything like that. So while the source has been released for many IDSoftware games, that doesn't make them free, it simply gives developers the chance to use the source for their own games and mods.

To my knowledge, Doom is not free.

SPeedY_B said:
Last I heard ID had released the source to doom, and it was also free

But all you need is source. Doom ports are so mature today that it is basically Doom (levels, textures, etc) and better.

Like so ...

http://liberatedgames.org/game.php?game_id=9

... and check out the ports.

He wanted the content of the full game, whether those sprites, textures, etc come directly from id, or recreated by someone else is irrelevant.

Last edited:
zeke_mo said:
Last I heard ID had released the source to doom, and it was also free
*bangs head on desk*

Read my post above.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back