Where are my icons?

S

sphere

Since I installed XP Pro I haven't been able to see a few icons (Printers and Faxes, Control Panel, Connect To (old icon)) on my machine. I'm guessing it has to do with a corrupt installation, because SP1 didn't fix it and replacing the shell32.dll with someone elses didn't fix it either. I've also tried deleting the icon cache dll file, replacing the .cpl files and running a sfc scan but that hasn't helped. There's a screenshot below to help you guys understand.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have an XP Power Toys package that has a TweakUI in it. It has an option to "Rebuild Icons". Xteq might have a similar feature in it, but I'm not sure.

Originally posted by zyfos
I have an XP Power Toys package that has a TweakUI in it. It has an option to "Rebuild Icons". Xteq might have a similar feature in it, but I'm not sure.

Tried that already. Didn't work.

You could check the following registry keys. They should read:

printer+faxes
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\ {2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}\ DefaultIcon = %SystemRoot%\System32\shell32.dll,-138

controlpanel
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ CLSID\ {21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\ DefaultIcon = %SystemRoot%\System32\shell32.dll,-137

and if present

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ Shell Icons
@ 37 = %SystemRoot%\System32\shell32.dll,-138
@ 35 = %SystemRoot%\System32\shell32.dll,-137

(still searching where the 'connect' icon is located)

Thanks for that info yoyo.

My settings were different at those locations. I changed them to what you posted and rebooted, but it hasn't fixed the problem.

Have you redone your icon cache since you changed the reg settings?
You could always yell loud profanities at the computer and reformat as a last option. :p

Yep, I tried rebuilding the icon cache and rebooting since the change.

I guess there is no real solution to the problem, other than an install.

If anyone can fix it I will personally kiss your... :eek: :p

Have you tried the following?
Right-click on the start button, go to properties. Then (going from memory, at work atm) Advanced, and there should be a list of what's shown and not shown on the start menu. Most of them should be in there. Select the ones you want to show up.

-Ryandor

No real idea at the moment. Also thought of deselecting and reselecting the items from startmenu properties.
Does the problem occur in every user account?
Are the icons displayed properly elsewhere?

None of those suggestions worked.

Ryandor - They are present in the menu, but the icons aren't showing next to the names.

yoyo - Tried it. It occurs on every account and everywhere there is no icon.

zyfos, no they don't.

BUT... Guess what! I got them back. Well, sorta.

I changed my shell32.dll over to the Snow E2 shell and then I used a program called E-Icons to change the icons that weren't working to another icon in the shell32.dll file.

So it's all good now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back