When should you partition?

xsivforce

Prodigal Son
I noticed at work, my computer is partitioned to where the OS is on one partition and pretty much everything else is on another partition. What is the advantage of this? Is there a disadvantage?

among other things it means in case of system crash,say c:drv.
where the os is,than you should only have to reformat and reinstall that partition,not the entire thing. so by using a partitioned hd is kinda of a insurance policy against losing all your files.:)

There is no real disadvatage, just make sure you give your windows part room to grow. and always make sure the swap file and windows are on the same partition.

When I have some more time, I may just do that. When I do I'll make sure I ask the right questions. Thanks da rock and Qumahlin.

Regarding partitions, I've been told that there is a way to have windows on one partition and all of your programs on another partition so that if you do a fresh install, you won't have to reinstall all of your programs. I guess I'm just a little slow and don't understand this. If you do a fresh install, wouldn't you have to reinstall all of your programs. Am I missing something?

Some programs have to be reinstalled. I have tried installing my programs in a drive other than where the OS is installed but found out that it was the case. No sense in installing programs out of the OS's drive. Its better if you reinstall programs or applications after a Windows reinstall, that way you know all of them works. After I install all my applications, configurations, virus scan, defrag.....I do a little checking around to make sure everything is in order. Then I create an image using Drive Image. So if I install and test other programs I just restore the drive image if something is screwed up. Any comments on what I do?

The Cheezzman

All sounds good to me.

Couple of question for you or anyone. I have (cracked) copies of Drive Image 5.0 and Ghost 2002

ANyone have any preferences on which one to use and/or know where I could download any manual for either?

The manual is in the respective programs under a pdf file. I would prefer to use Drive Image. Simpler to use from windows.

The Cheezzman

There is a huge advantage in installing programs outside the os partition when you have a dualboot (or even a tripleboot) installed. Then you can install a program to a shared data partition and not lose too much valuable space. The same holds for the swapfile, which can be placed on a shared partition and it will be recreated at every boot.
My personal preference for an image tool is Norton Ghost which works perfectly. Though not under WinXP, and I'm sure neither will DriveImage. You will need to boot from floppy to directly address the harddisk, which WinXP will not allow. But the choice is really a matter of what you're use to. They both work fine.

It's a great idea to have multiple partitions. I have the following setup at home and it works great.

Disk 1 - 40GB
Partition 1 - C: - 2.5GB WinMe (just in case)
Partition 2 - D: - 8GB XP Pro
Partition 3 - E: - 29.5GB Programs and Data

Disk 2 - 40GB
Partition 1 - F: - 2.5GB reserved for WinMe but currently blank
Partition 2 - G: - 8GB reserved for XP Pro but currently blank
Partition 3 - H: - 29.5GB Backup of E:

I use Drive image to backup my XP Pro partition then store the image on E: I use InSync to make a comparative copy of all files of E: on H:

As a note I usually make at 2 different images of my XP partition:

1. when freshly installed and set up in the most basic way
2. after installing the most common programs I use and configuring the system to my liking

On occasion a program will crash the system and you will have to restore one of the images. Drive Image will create 2 diskettes for you to boot up with. This program has saved my bacon more than once. When you restore an image, any programs you had installed will not need to be reinstalled, assuming they are in the same location as before.

Hope that helps.

I might just have to get a second hard drive and do some of this stuff. I like the idea of backing up the OS.

You can do a backup of the OS even with one harddisk. To do that you need minimum 2 partition and if you run low on space you can even put the file on a CDROM. No problem to put it back from there in case of need.

xsivforce
I know you've been on the other string, but for others on this string, it seems ms says if you're not on fat, partitioning is couterproductive for the average user...also, partitions is a terrible solution for backups...hard drives fail all the time...to follow the string I'm referancing, go here

ok...understood. Did see that on the other thread. M$ suggests it is counterproductive on NTFS. Best way for me to back up is on removable media (i.e. CD) Thanks dealer.

BTW: Your avatar keeps me drooling. My keyboard doesn't like that. ;)

I can understand that but I still prefer to have partitions and a second HD.. there's just too much info to fit onto CDROM's and DVDRW's are still too expensive for the average user..

robbie, we should all run our box the way that suits us personally...performance or no, there's still alot to be said about organizing your installation, for instance, I don't think even if ms is correct, the differance would be noticeable, so, if you like the organization of partitons, then go ahead and organize, but for those people that partition because they thought they were supposed to, well it seems as if microsoft is telling you your computor is less efficient with partitions, so don't

Microsoft forgot to tell you all that it is extremely counterproductive to install Windows on your machines. It will slow them down terribly. As will any program you install, be it on one partition or more.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back