When shall I reinstall Windows? Every year? Every 2 years? Every 6 months?

• Thread starter FrenchBerliner
  • Start date
F

FrenchBerliner

I installed XP on December 1st 2001....
So I was wondering if it would be the right moment now to reinstall it...
I know that it's always healthy to reinstall the all system...but when is it good to do that?
Shall I wait? Shall I do it?

I wouldn't reinstall it unless your having problems, really no need to reinstall XP, just for the sake of reinstalling.

:cool:

Why do you want to reinstall? Having problems or have a lot of junk loaded that you want to get rid of and can't?

Otherwise there is no reason to do a clean reinstall, unless you are changing operating systems. The System does not need to be "refreshed".

Thanks guys....
It's just that I installed and uninstalled a lot of program in the past 6 months...so I thought maybe Windows was dirty...

Regardless of the above comments and without trying to get into a fight, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". In other words, if you are not having any problems, I would not worry about any residual files left over from some uninstalls.

You reinstall you OS only if and when you need to. As the above post from Bob says..... if the system is working well, leave it alone.

I would format at least once every month or two....It is worth your while, and you will get the preformence that you actually paid for....*harware anyways*....lol

well if i had my way, i wouldnt just reinstall windows XP. see, i have 2 harddrives. the 2nd is an 80gb where i store all my useful things like backups. on C: i store all my games and things i use everyday. then i just move them over to my D: when i want to reinstall windows. keep in mind that C: and D: are totally different hard drives, they are not partitioned. so i'd reformat every month or two because it really doesn take that long when you're on a fast computer. reinstalling everything back up is the pain. then you have to customize everything but i really like how it loads fast. dont flame me but i dont even install any anti virus programs because its just a waste of time if i'm going to reformat anyways. the problem is when i get a virus on my D:, which is really easy, then i'm screwed--from behind.

haha yeah i dont even get viruses. the last one i got was like 2 years ago when my friend was being stupid and sent me some virus on accident... :eek:

dep03 u sure it was accident ?
i uninstall /reinstall xp every 3 days
:)

That's like asking, when should I wash my car?

When it's dirty.

Originally posted by dep03
i have 2 harddrives. the 2nd is an 80gb where i store all my useful things like backups.
If you've got all that space, than why don't you use Symantec's Ghost to make an image of your system partition? Let's say it's 5 Gig (data only, not the actual size); then a high compressed image would be round 2.5 Gig. That would fit on 3 or 4 CDs. To put it all back when your C is messed up: less than 30 minutes. Much easier than to reinstall everything from scratch, isn't it?

I agree, I've used Ghost in the past to do the same thing, and it works like a dream. And you don't have to always reconfigure.

Keeping your XP clean would require:

a) a good defragmenter. O&O Defrag Freeware found on www.download.com is very good IMO. Defrags everything. It doesn't end up telling you that certain files could not be defragged like Microsoft's does.

b) A registry and file cleaner -> go to www.jv16.org, get PowerTools. It has magnificent Registry cleaner and File Cleaner incorporated that will remove whatever junk is lying around.

c) Removes whatever advertising garbage is put onto your computer while browsing.

If you keep using these, you'll never have performance loss and/or problems.

Andre

FrenchBerliner said:
I installed XP on December 1st 2001....
So I was wondering if it would be the right moment now to reinstall it...
I know that it's always healthy to reinstall the all system...but when is it good to do that?
Shall I wait? Shall I do it?
You're a genius only once in 20 months, mine is twice in 33!

yea man, dont do it if you dont have too. I have gone without doing it for more then 20 months.

how come u r posting in a thread that is 2 years old? i am pretty sure the dude has formated since then :S

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back