when is a laptop not a laptop?

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
a laptop is not a laptop when you put it on your lap

I never worked a long time with this thing actually on my lap...it overheats, and shuts down cause there isn't enough ventilation around the ports.

so I have to have put a hard surface on my lap, in order for this laptop to be a loptop.

lots to learn in a recovery bed

Have you tried using a can of compressed air on the vents? When dust collects on the copper fins of the heatsink, the effectiveness of heat dissipation is reduced considerably.
I use a couple of blasts every two weeks or so. Keeps the temperatures down. Try it. :)

NetRyder said:
Have you tried using a can of compressed air on the vents? When dust collects on the copper fins of the heatsink, the effectiveness of heat dissipation is reduced considerably.
I use a couple of blasts every two weeks or so. Keeps the temperatures down. Try it. :)
gonna try that soon as I get home

Ma Sony Vaio can withstand "hot" temps. :p
Mentioned this in another thread... Tried blocking off all vents and keeping the CPU load at 100% for half a day... and it's still ran fine afterwards.

ming said:
Ma Sony Vaio can withstand "hot" temps. :p
Mentioned this in another thread... Tried blocking off all vents and keeping the CPU load at 100% for half a day... and it's still ran fine afterwards.
What processor does it run on?

Ahh, seems like not everyone caught this story in the tech news. It was about a year ago:

A guy sued the maker of his laptop because he used it for several hours, of in all places, on his lap. Seems the guy developed severe burns on his penis.

The manufacturer tried to defend against the suit by claiming that there were adequate warnings in the manual. They did mention that the unit got hot and not to set the laptop on good quality wood furniture because the heat could permanently mar the surface. The jury decided that was not an adequate warning.

The moral of the story is get a lap desk. (that's desk, not dance)

PS Perris, hope they spring you soon I've spent 21 days locked up in the medical torture facility in the last 9 months. I feel for you.
Free Advise: Flirt with the nurses (no matter how ugly). Use the self adminstered morphine only at night so you can sleep through them coming in and doing vitals every 45 minutes. Steal one of the meal trays (or get one of the nurses to) and use it as a lap desk.
Escape plan: Get out of bed as soon as they say you should, eat the food no matter how putrid it tastes, get up and walk around the nurses station no matter how many IV racks you have to drag along. These are the three criteria they apply before you can be released.
Good Luck.

I'm recovering at home...home nurse just cause it's free, home visits from doctors...I'm ok, this is not as big a deal as it sounds

With some notebooks weighing close to 10 lbs now... I'm not even sure I'd want to hold one on my lap for too long.

yeah perris, i run into that problem alot too.

LeeJend said:
A guy sued the maker of his laptop because he used it for several hours, of in all places, on his lap. Seems the guy developed severe burns on his penis.

How do you not notice that while it is happening? geez(thats all I will say) :dead:

perris said:
gonna try that soon as I get home
Yeah, try it. My notebook is placed on the bed right now with 2 of the 3 vents blocked, and the CPU has been running at about 43C-45C for the last two hours. And we're talking about a 2.4GHz Northwood P4 here, so there's no SpeedStepping involved. ;)

Zeke

I know you really didn't want an answer but here it is anyway:

Actually, you are slow cooking the flesh. There is not any sensation of the burning taking place. I did it to myself once with a heating pad on a hip injury. Went in to see the doc and he had a fit. My skin was burned. :nervous: Never felt a thing.

The newer heating pads have automatic timed shutdown on the higher level settings now. (Yes, I got a newer one. :) )

Xie said:
You need something like this or this. Don't burn your junk. :p
You really shouldn't need something like that.
If temperatures are soaring up so much that they burn body parts or cause the machine to shutdown without notice, the user is either doing something wrong, or the machine has an inherent design flaw.

I agree that a laptop should never get THAT hot... however, the simple fact that things like that sell tells me that apparently some laptops are getting hotter than their users would like.

NetRyder said:
What processor does it run on?

PIII M. But the machine was bloody hot! You definitely couldn't set it on your lap otherwise you'd be left with a burnt sausage. :p
Don't think you'd be able to hold it with the palm of your hands for more than 5 seconds.

lappy will never overheat if it's a pentium, their designed to slow down when they get hot in order not to burn out, i use my lappy in bed all the time, air intake is on the bottom so i try to make sure it doesn't get blocked by the sheets, but only becasue the fans make hell of a noise when they crank up to full power to try and cool system down :eek:

my p4m blows out a lot of hot air...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back