when i turn my computer on...

apgill

OSNN Junior Addict
...it loads my anti-virus program and the bluetooth app for my phone, then sits there for up to a full two minutes, doing absolutely nothing. finally it loads everything else.

this is getting really annoying :dead: and i've tried everything i can think of--defragmenting (twice), scanning with ad-aware and spybot s&d, and cleaning out my registry. a few of my friends suggested burning all my files to CDs and re-installing windows, but that sounds, um, a little drastic. plus if it's something i can fix easily i'd rather just do that.

by the way, my computer is a toshiba satellite (laptop) that i bought august of 2004, so it's not that old.

what can i do to fix this problem?

Press ctrl-alt-del and get to task manager see if anything is grabbing alot of memory or cpu use.

I would prob then start elimininating all start up applications see if that resolves the error, then re-adding em one by one using "msconfig"

actually i forgot to mention that i did the start-up thing as well.

as for the task manager, i'm not positive but i dont think there's anything that's taking up too much memory. but thanks!

what antivirus are you running ?? Sounds like Norton .. Also, when was the last time you cleaned your temp files out, temp internet history file out, ran a scan disk, and claned your cookies ?? You might want to also see what is being ran at start up.

if it is any norton product then that is common. we get this error in a lot at work. its norton scanning all the processes going in mem and everything in the prefetch folder and the attanched fles.
if you have norton or any norton product
normaly we can fix this by uninstalling norton. reboot. then scan the reg for all norton entries. and delete all norton and symantec files on the hard disk. once all this is done. do a virus scan with housecall. www.housecall.trendmicro.com
also install MS anti spyware and adaware and scan to make sure everything is clean. then reinstall norton.

once all that is done re boot
start, run
CMD
defrag c: -b
that will defrag the boot sector for windows and the boot portion of the files.

i think she's using avg coz i always tell her about it on the phone or at least she should've switched to it, then yea i'd suggestest diong what ep said or post a hijackthis log

i haven't been on OSNN in awhile, so i haven't seen all the posts since i last checked...

i used to have norton but my uni made me uninstall it in order to connect to their internet, so i don't have it anymore. they gave me this thing called sophos, i don't know how well it works.

also, i deleted all my temp files and cookies and it's still taking awhile to boot up. and i checked to see what it's running at startup, but everything looked fine.

do a virus scan using avg, also an ad-aware scan and spybot scan

has she tried using a jpeg to solve the problem? i dont think so ;) get back to work

Do you perhaps have a network connection that you are disabling?

johnny i run norton but systemworks 2003,i dislike norton 2004 and above,2003 and 2002 are the best and don't hog resources,norton is one of the best(the older ones)anyways did you trim down your services?maybe run ap april 2005 and apply all the tweaks that you may need.reinstalling windows isin't needed just something is taking up alot of cpu cycles,also apply some tweaks to the registry n you'll be flying.
themafia.69:avg is crap,when i used it it reported system files were viruses that were not viruses and when i removed them with avg i had to reinstall windows.

sorry soldier1st avg is amazing, never had a problem with it. u must have had viruses and didnt know. cuz even when the system files are changed and arent viruses it will tell u status: changed. check again, u might have had a program installed that caused a conflict such as roxio etc

AVG is good. So are alot of others except McCrappy.

did you check processes to see what was running ??

Also, get crap cleaner and run it ...

apgill said:
...it loads my anti-virus program and the bluetooth app for my phone, then sits there for up to a full two minutes, doing absolutely nothing. finally it loads everything else.

plus if it's something i can fix easily I'd rather just do that.

by the way, my computer is a Toshiba satellite (laptop) that i bought august of 2004, so it's not that old.

what can i do to fix this problem?
first, make sure that while plugged in, the CPU is not clocking down since it's laptop click the little electric thingy in your tray, adjust power properties, hit the scroll down, always on when plugged in

then, you need to see what's in the start up folder...uncheck everything but your av, firewall and since it's a laptop, let the mouse software start also...don't let blue tooth start, just launch it when you need it...nothing else should really be starting with windows if you're having these problems

then, go to your services applet and take workstation off of automatic

how much memory do you have?...if less then 512, right click your desktop, go to properties, settings, and change your color from 32 to 16 bit.
soldier1st said:
i run norton but systemworks 2003,i dislike norton 2004 and above,2003 and 2002 are the best and don't hog resources
I've never seen any norton version that didn't eat unnecessary resources ...this includes 2002 and 2003
norton is one of the best(the older ones)
I've had to fix so many computers running norton fully updated and viruses running right under the nose of this av...and I'm talking about 2002 and 2003 as well
themafia.69:avg is crap,when i used it it reported system files were viruses that were not viruses and when i removed them with avg i had to reinstall windows.
you're the very first person I've ever heard have any issue what so ever with avg....though issues abound using norton in any of it's invocations

my opinion, avast and avg are crowning jewels of the internet.

there are better av's, but norton (no matter what year) isn't one of them

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back