when I scroll my wheel mouse wheel, I hear a squicky noise from my computer speakers

Shade2074

OSNN Addict
when I scroll my wheel mouse wheel for a web page (to scroll it up or down) I hear a squicky noise from my computer speakers; is this a known bug? It's not horribly loud but it is a bit anoying. It Doesn't happen for all programs, So far I found that it occurs with Internet Explorer and Outlook. It does not occur in Word or Mozilla. Has anyone else had this problem, is it a known bug and is there a way to fix this?

I do have to turn the speaker up a bit to hear it clearly, when the volume was down it was indeed very faint. I tried switching it to USB but it still squeaks. LOL maybe it's a microsoft joke - Giving my mouse a voice! :D

Oh i guess i should mention, it is a wheel mouse optical that is making the squeeking happen - i don't have another mouse to test to see if the same thing happens...

Oh and it only happens when i actually use the wheel button, not when i use the arrow keys on the web page or when i click and drag the scroll bar

Have you a modem installed ?....if so go to Control Panel - Phone and modem options - modem - properties - modem...and turn the sound all the way down...it may help.:huh:

You could also try moving your soundcard to another pci slot in case its conflicting with something...and update your drivers too.

Originally posted by BonyTony
Have you a modem installed ?....if so go to Control Panel - Phone and modem options - modem - properties - modem...and turn the sound all the way down...it may help.:huh:

You could also try moving your soundcard to another pci slot in case its conflicting with something...and update your drivers too.

I do have a modem and the sound was ll the way up but turning it all the way off didn't help. My sound card is built right into my motherboard so I can't move it. I have one of those nforce 2 motherboards, I don't think it's that either though because I seem to recall having the same problem on my older computer - again involving an intellamouse explorer. It's subtle enough though so that if I turn down the volume I won't hear it - so for now I guess I just stick it out.

thank you for trying to help though

Originally posted by Enyo
My only idea on this is it could be related to the Intellipoint drivers. I no longer have them installed but did at the time i had my mouse noise. Thats a shot in the dark but try it.

I uninstalled the intellamouse drivers but the sound is still there. It was worth the shot though :) As for the wires they are as far apart as i can get them already. At least it only happens when I'm browsing HTML mail or viewing the web through Internet Explorer. It could have been worse!

Thank you for trying to help, I appreciate it.:cool:

it's because you have a ps/2 mouse. it's analog. the analog signals go through the mobo and are picked up by your (onboard, i'm assuming) sound card. mute both TAD and CD Audio in your volume control. you will still be able to listen to cd's as they are taken care of digitally via the ide channel.

or use a usb mouse... or get a sound card. :)

I get the same problem when I use it as USB. I will eventually get another sound card, maybe that will fix it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back