Wheel Mouses

dave holbon

OSNN Veteran Addict
Today I completed an on-line registration form, which was on the face of it simple to complete. As with most things these days the usual fields were present like first name, last name, country and all the usual things. However I have upgraded from an old Microsoft (ergonomic) mouse to a new version with a wheel installed in the middle.

I like this as it enables you to scroll through an MS Word document (whilst selecting text) without whizzing through the whole document and back again when you only want to select the last line of one page and the first of the next. However after completing this on-line registration document whilst using my mouse wheel I now find that I live in India and not only that all the fields on the form where multiple selections (list boxes) were available were altered by the wheel mouse.

This of course was because the focus remained in the various list boxes until I clicked on the next item using the wheel mouse to move down the form. I then had the message that the “zip code” was incorrect. Here in the UK this is called the “post code” but even when I changed all the information to the correct values an error message indicating that the code was incorrect still remained stopping me from moving to the next step in the registration process. In the end I gave up.

It’s nearly Christmas so I have asked the wife to by me a mouse without a wheel until the script programmers of web pages understand about how the mouse operates within the focus property as I should not have been allowed to “wheel down” the page until the focus had moved away from the list box. A simple error that cost the company concerned a sale.

Dave, are you blonde?? :D

Seriously - I am sure some sites wonder what I have been smoking when they receive my info - been there - done that!

And will probably do it again - but would not trade my scroll mouse for anything!

They say it is hard to teach an "old dog" new tricks - I am learning rather quickly - don't be an "old dog"!!! ;)

The way I look at it $hit happens and they'll live with it - until I learn not to do stupid things!:eek: :eek:

That is such a pain. At other times you start scrolling & end up going all over the net. A big pain.

I like my scroll mouse. Sometimes it does screwy things though :p

Posted by damnyank
Dave, are you blonde?? :D

Seriously - I am sure some sites wonder what I have been smoking when they receive my info - been there - done that!

And will probably do it again - but would not trade my scroll mouse for anything!

They say it is hard to teach an "old dog" new tricks - I am learning rather quickly - don't be an "old dog"!!! ;)

The way I look at it $hit happens and they'll live with it - until I learn not to do stupid things!:eek: :eek:
I’ve been called many things in my time “old dog” and other things (expletives) have been references to the various cars I have owned over the years. I suppose a mouse is a sort of car, it moves you from one place to the next, consumes fuel (CPU cycles) and can turn right, left, up and down if you drive it like me! In addition it can indicate, using the equivalent of a cars window screen wipers that you PC has hung but the wipers are still going. This is because it operates in CPU ring-mode one, or so I’m told.

Why should I “give-in” and watch the rain on the windshield being cleared when the engine is stalled and won’t start?

Your right of course.

you have to click on a blank piece of the page to unbind the scroll from the drop down menus

its really easy once you get used to it ;)

try holding ctrl and scroll on a page (change font size on the fly)
also
if you press down on the scrolling button you get auto scroll

smokin[1].gif

Dave - if you ever find yourself in the opposite predicament - where the engine can start and is not stalling and it is raining - and your wipers do not work - they have an excellent product (stateside) called "Rain X" - man I use the "Rain X" windshield (windscreen) washer fluid and drive down the interstate (motorway) at 65 MPH (about 100 klicks) without the wipers running and it all just beads up and runs up the windshield (windscreen) and runs back over the roof. MOst of the time I can see better than people using their wipers!

That m8 has nothing to do with a scroll mouse - so I don't know why I mentioned it!:confused: :confused:

2Z - LMAO - it seems like I remember trying all the suggestions for a scrolling mouse on another forum and it took me three hours to make my stuff right again!;)

Seems like it was called "I didn't know that!"

Posted by damnyank
2Z - LMAO - it seems like I remember trying all the suggestions for a scrolling mouse on another forum and it took me three hours to make my stuff right again!;)

Seems like it was called "I didn't know that!"
No the programmers didn’t know that as the tide of event have overtaken them only us users have to change to take this into account. Why?

They din't know that!!

Dave you do remember to click away from the scroll menu's on websites when you have selected the RIGHT option!!

Sorry could help myself! ;)

I don't really understand your problem Dave Holbon. I have 3 computers all with Microsoft Optical Intellimouse with the scroll wheel and would not think of going back to a normal mouse.

Damnyank, we even get "Rain X" here in the Philippines. I find it great used on the monitor screen and my glasses when I am when playing car racing games... :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back