Whats up with my Monitor/Video Card

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
This only happens in World of Warcraft and only on my Dell 2007WFP. Notice the bright yellow band around the right side and bottom. It used to be a rainbow of colors and I figured it had something to do with my playing the game at a resolution under the Dell's requirements. I adjusted the rez up to 1680x1050 and it went away for a while but now its back and brighter. My vid card is an ATI 800xl, I don't think that is the prob since it only happens on the one game but I figured I'd throw that detail in just in case. Any ideas?

Attachments

• WoWScrnShot_121506_214841.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_121506_214841.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 151
Latest drivers installed (they came out 2 days ago) so we'll see what happens. I won't test it tonight, I'm too tired. But since I have no life I'll probably play WoW all day tomorrow. I'll post an update then.

Reps for the advice.

No go. Still has the weird color bands around the right and bottom.

don't think he was talkin "latest" drivers. sometimes the newest drivers can cause more problems that weren't around in earlier drivers.

Thats right ED you might need to fiddle around with a few sets to find the one right for you, and make sure you use driver cleaner or something like it between sets.

Well I've never had any problems using anything ATI has out there. If the system runs than I don't care how old the drivers are. If they release something that specifically addresses an issue I'm having than I will upgrade, otherwise I won't. In this case I was using the August drivers. I had no problems. WoW was installed in October and I didn't really notice any issues. That's why I didn't really think it was driver related. I tried the newest ones and it still does it. So it can't be ATI's drivers. I'm not going to mess around with any other unofficial driver and I don't notice any performance difference with the Omega drivers either. Not sure what else I can do really.

You need to pinpoint if this is something related to the video card or the monitor. if you do not have another monitor then find a friend that will let you use theirs for a quick test. If OK with a different monitor then you know your monitor is bad but if still messed up then it is either drivers or the video card.

I had a similar problem crop up with Empire Earth but it was even uglier (pink and blue on bottom and right side). It was a driver issue. Newer drivers did not fix it. It took all the way from 3.3 to 3.10 versions before it went away again. Only one game and then a whole string of drivers.

I'm thinking maybe it was Open GL related. ATI had problems with OpenGL for a long time.

Try rolling back a couple versions.

Thanks for all the suggestions. You may see another thread out there by me that talks about my pc's impending doom. It seems that right now anything I do is just rearranging the deck chair on the Titanic. I'm gonna tough it out until early next year when I build my new one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back