What's the fastest computer you've used?

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Mention the specs, and how/where you had access to it.
grin.gif

In my case, it would be the university's primary terminal server:

Dell PowerEdge 6650
Four (Quad) 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon MP processors
24GB DDR SDRAM
RAID array

Craziness...

Mine would be,

Sony VAIO Desktop
2.4 GHz Intel Pentium
256MB DDR RAM

amd athlon xp 64 bit 3400 oced to 3600
1gb ram or was it 2 dont remmber

themafia_69 said:
amd athlon xp 64 bit 3400 oced to 3600
1gb ram or was it 2 dont remmber
if you're talking about mike's it's 1.5

my computer
intel pentium I, 166 MHZ, 64mb ram... jk
amd 64 3200+, 2.2ghz, 512ram, 5.0litres, 525 horse power

Sadly that would be my laptop.

HP Pavilion z24200
2.0 gigahertz Intel Celeron, 256 megs ram, 20gig hddrive

most people's would be a "sadly to say, mine" kinda deal.

as for me........ mine too. :)

P4 2.4C OC'ed to like.... a hair under 3.4, 512MB Dual Channel DDR 400, 120GB WD SATA Hard drive.

reason i say a hair under 3.4 is... cause the highes i could get it without probably upping the core voltage a hair was up to the very last possible bus speed (think it's that, correct me if i'm wrong, cause i haven't looked at it in my bios for a while) of 283 which would give me a clock speed of 3,396Mhz. had it running at that speed for maybe like 2-3 hours, then played a bit of CS: Source. but stupid me forgot to adjust my CPU fan's speed up a bit since i had it all the way down to see if there was much of a temp difference, and after a few minutes of CS, my computer automatically restarted. thank god for those safety features, eh?

Oh, come on. I'm sure someone else has used an insanely fast machine at some point.
tongue.gif

I personally have not used anything faster than my machine right now mainly cause all my friends think I'm a dork for being so deep in tech. And rightly so I am...ha.

so sadly I'd have to say my own machine is the fastest I've used...see sig.

At school, we got some nice new servers, i was just testing, err, abusing them:

quad 3.4 Ghz Intel something or other
8 GB DDR Ram
SCSI RAID 5-1, running with a total of 60 HD's, with another 20 as hot spares. (120 GB per drive)

Now used as a file server for the entire school. We have enough storage for every user to store about 2 GB of data each, and we would still have some space to spare.

X-Istence said:

8 GB DDR Ram
SCSI RAID 5-1, running with a total of 60 HD's, with another 20 as hot spares. (120 GB per drive)

Now used as a file server for the entire school. We have enough storage for every user to store about 2 GB of data each, and we would still have some space to spare.
Now that's what I'm talking about.
grin.gif

You guys need to throw in some more RAM!

3.4 Ghz Intel Flip Chip
1Gb DDR 2
600Gb RAID 0 volume
Just for sheer computing speed, it is teh fastest. With windoz only XP Pro SP2 it took 9 seconds from POST till I was able to use teh computer. It takes longer for teh drives to spin up than the POST to take place.

For multi user?

AS/400
143 clients at one time signed in.
4 printers
Twinax & TCP/IP
Connected to two frame relay circuts, and two modems (one is actually a Winders emulated modem)

Reboot = 45min (clean)
Boot = 2 hrs (dirty)
Boot = 25min (clean)

X-Istence said:

8 GB DDR Ram

My shipping address follows............ :D

Steevo......... so you're saying that my PC could boot and be usable within 30 seconds if i were to jus buy myself one more 120GB SATA drive? or is that with SCSI or some junk? or..... is that cause of the flip chip (for some odd reason can't remember what "flip chip" is :eek: )

At the Ministry of Transportation we have an SGI Fuel workstation used to model aerodrome approach vectors (in other words, simulating how aircraft perform near airports with regard to wind, atmospheric pressure, etc). Its processor is only 800 MHz, but with a 4 MB L2 cache, 2 GB RAM, and a 64-bit UNIX operating system, it crunches numbers faster (and cooler) than any Intel setup we had.

Setting aside the servers at school (which are multi-user UNIX machines...and would be difficult to compare performance against...as I never get use to the systems full resources), I would have to say either:

DEC Alpha 600 MHz, (forgot how much RAM), and winNT 4.0

Was down at a comp shop, where I had one built (prior to them going outa business). Needless to say, we had become acquantances, and latter friends of sorts. One day, when they built this system for one of their customers (to become a server), Fred told me to take a look in the other room. He had something to show me. It was this system. Wasn't much software on there, but I did get to use a bit.

- else it'd be split between my AXP 1900+, 512 MB RAM, 10k RPM ultra160 SCSI drive (for the main one, the other a 10k rpm u2w SCSI)

else a P4 2.5 GHz, though the RAM might be less, the gfx card not as good, and the drives slower. Guess it depends at which components you're looking at.

So why do I mention these, if I had used an Alpha? Because the Alpha was among the fastest kids on the block when it was new. However this was 5 or 6 years ago. Even with the PCs being slower within a given generation, things do in the fullness of time have a way to catch up. As I remember, it was also an Alpha 21164 (not the 264 that came out, before Compaq which acquired it, then killed the platform going with Itanium).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back