whats the diff between xvid-divx and ffdshow?

Dan04

OSNN Addict
Hi Everyone,

This may be a dumb question or a question answered before etc but there is something i wanna get clarified bla bla bla:

Reading what has been said about ffdshow at: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm i was wondering can this be installed over the Kazaa Lite Mega Codec Pack which is a codec pack i like or is there a better codec pack out there and does ffdshow need the other codecs to be installed to help it do its job etc or can i just install ffdshow and it'll play xvid, divx and all the other crap that the kazaa lite codec pack can?

Any information is appreciated ;)

dont install ffdshow. period. use the native codecs in kl mega codec pack or as seperate entities.

ffdshow uses older coded code and has issues with most recently released xvid/divx movies/episodes.

the only reason peoplr=e rave about ffdshow s due to its opensource nature.

ok thanks for that, i just put it on becaue my comp started having sads with the k-lite codec pack so i think its time or a format ;)

I use the K-Lite Codec pack as well. No reason to really compare codec packs since they all set out to do the same thing. ffdshow should be installed ... there are a lot of videos out there that require it and just won't run properly without it.

LordOfLA said:
dont install ffdshow. period. use the native codecs in kl mega codec pack or as seperate entities.

ffdshow uses older coded code and has issues with most recently released xvid/divx movies/episodes.

the only reason peoplr=e rave about ffdshow s due to its opensource nature.
Huh? Say what?

The only thing I have installed is:
1. ffdshow
2. ac3filter (since the ffdshow ac3 filter is a bit borked)
3. RealAlternative (for real player files)

I have no problems whatsoever playing any kind of movies or clips, recent or old. Small, simple, working.

I say bleh to codec packs, they just install a mess of codecs and oncesomething breaks, you have no chance of fixing it. (I haven't tried anyKLite pack, but it looks just as massive).

That's my $0.02.

ffdshow works fine for me too. *shrug*

I stay miles away from codec packs. I've had far too many friends who have IM'd me in the past asking me to help them because they couldn't even play mp3's after uninstalling some or the other codec pack that "someone" told them to install. If they work for you, fine. Just not something I'd personally use or recommend.

Unleashed said:
Xvid is just a bastardised form of Divx. :p

The name maybe ... and it might have been born from hacked versions of DivX ... but that doesn't apply to modern XviD.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back