Whats better 6800GT Or X800 XL

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
Ok looking at a new graphics card... again i know i know little sick obsession.

Both has 16 pipelines, the x800 xl is slightly cheaper, but which in real terms is a better card?

I assume you want that answer for AGP? or maybe for PCI express?

Well not actually fair question the AGP is the X800 XT PE.

In either case I give the 6800 Ultra a slight edge. Mainly becuse it's a few percent faster in Doom 3 which is the most DX9 intensive game engine out there.

But if the price difference is more than 5% go with the cheaper X800 version (AGP or SLI).

Isn't the X800XL only PCI-E? :)

The 6800GT overclocks better then the X800XL from what I've heard. That's if you want to overclock.

It's mostly preference on what games you play. OpenGL games run better on the Nvidia cards, and DirectX games run better on the Ati cards.

Yeah, I was editing while you were commenting Sheps. But I was confused because Lancer has the Gigabyte K8N which is an AGP MB.

And now that I re-read the original post it says 6800 GT.

The X800 XT PE or the XL beats the 6800 GT, especially at a lower price.

the x800xl is AGP now. They are carrying agp versions at newegg.com and zipzoomfly.com

I own a 6800gt but I would have bought the x800xl if I had the change when I bought it. And I think Doom 3 is actually OpenGL and nvidia does better in opengl

Hmmm, Doom 3 specs say DX9b compatible graphics card required. But the Doom 3 site says it is OpenGL. Weird.

Wasn't it Doom 3 that everyone used to benchmark the latest cards for a long time and Ati was blowing ahead of Nvidia? Anyway. I hadn't seen that Ati made the X800XL into an AGP model.

That was before the XL and XT PE came out. Now they're close 5% AGP XT PE 10% PCI-E XL. Those benchmarks are a few months old. New drivers may have changed the balance. Of course the SLI still shows a strong edge, for twice the price.

Yeah, but SLI isn't guaranteed to work with the games you play. They have to write special drivers for the SLI setups for games to take advantage of that. If there are no drivers for that game, then it's basically the same as a single graphics card.

Yeah, Nvidia is winning only because they are producing a 2 card against 1 card advantage. Although Ati is developing the same sort of technology for their cards.

Anyway, I think the graphics cards are barely worth upgrading within family lines. I have an X800Pro which I overclocked to XTPE speeds and it's great. I wouldn't go and buy an X850pro or anything like that. I'll wait for the next generation cards to come out unless there's too good of a deal to miss out on or something.

But if you're upgrading from say a FX5200 all the way up to the 9800Pro, these cards are a nice step and a big difference. :)

these are the ati x800xls that are agp that I've found

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-521&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-501&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-520&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-520&depa=1

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=320843
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=321702

to add. Nvidia does do better in Doom 3 benchmarks and ATI does better in HL2 benchmarks.

All the cards are so close from the most recent generations, it's just a matter of preference becuase you won't really see the difference performance wise anyway. Unless you are in the 200 dollar range where the 6600GT from nvidia is top gun in the midmarket range right now.

Any card you get will be good and you won't have to worry about anything

From CustomPc's benchmarks, the X800XL outperforms the 6800GT in Farcry and, in lower and mid-range resolutions, Half-Life 2. The difference at higher resolutions in HL2 though seems to be in the 6800GT's favour, although only roughly 5fps.

I haven't seen benchmarks of an X800XL running on an apg slot, but I'm interested to see if the architecture difference will make it perform better or worse. The magazine recommends the X800XL due to its low price, just over £200 for the card, which will allow you to play graphic-intensive games at a high fps. The HSF is also a lot quieter, compared to the behemoth that is the standard 6800GT HSF.

On the flipside, the Nvidia has SLI technology readily available, and there's also Shader Model 3 support, which might be useful for upcoming games (if they decide to support it!).

The best price/performance is the x800xl.

The 6800GT for all intents and purposes is probably a little better or the same in most cases but the x800XL is a pretty powerful performer.

It is available in Pci-E and also in AGP (bridged version) supposedly.

Wrt D3, it is OpenGL but because OpenGL and D3D share similar instructions and features, support for dx 9 generally == pretty decent performance for D3.

Ok guys thanks, but to make it clearer, i am building a new system from scratch and i'm getting a new gigabyte board thats supports pci-e 16x, so i was looking at comparisons between the to in pci-e form.

But from whats been said it seems that the 800xl is a far better card, if not for the simple fact its $100 cheaper.

Well what about the x850 Pro is that far better?

A few 10's of megahertz on clock speed. Maybe a few percent on performance benchmarks.

http://apps.ati.com/ATIcompare/result.asp

Price is all over the place on the 800XT and 850XT. Be careful what you are buying. i.e. read the spec's very carefully. The prices can't vary by $100 or more and not have some corners cut.

There is around about £40/50 difference between the 6800GT and X800XL on a few UK online stores, which is pretty nice, consdering that they'reboth capable performers. The architecture (I keep saying this, but i'm not sure myself until I see a few benchmarks) difference might be one of the key reasons for going one over the other.

X850's seem to be pretty expensive, the top-end cards are similar in price to the 6800 Ultra.

It seems from what i've read and been told that the difference is mainly in the games engines and that both cards perform pretty closely together. But that the 6800 GT does better with opengl, whereas the x800 xl does better with DX9

x800xl == lower power consumption too if that is anything you are considering.

Bang for the buck == the XL. x850 pro I believe is similar to the x800pro, ie a 12 pipe product, but with much higher clocks than the xl. I would probably give it a miss.

yuo would give the 800 pro a miss?

I'm looking at the 800xl which has 16 piplines doesn't it? sorry sazar your post confused me say again over! :)

Yes, why not?

It has 12 pipelines which seriously diminish scalability as your LOD climbs at high resolutions. On a setup with perhaps an LCD topping out @ 12x10 it is a feasible solution but I would rather have 16 pipes for a lower price and better all round performance than brute force to a point and crud after. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back