Whats a *.vxd ?

Got this by searching Google:

"In Windows, a virtual device driver is a program for each of the computer's main hardware devices, including the hard disk drive controller, keyboard, and serial and parallel ports. They're used to maintain the status of a hardware device that has changeable settings. Virtual device drivers handle software interrupts from the operating system rather than hardware interrupts. A virtual device driver usually has a file name suffix of VXD."

http://topqualityfreeware.com/whatisavxd.html

Hope that answers your question,
Blue

Don't touch 'em!
Back away from the .vxd files and leave them alone.

no see a friend sent me a file in that format. canged the extension to .zip and it worked

People often do that with file sharing apps. They change the zip extention to something else. In this case vxd. As has been mentioned if it is a real vxd leave it alone.

Posted by Jz1397-4
no see a friend sent me a file in that format. canged the extension to .zip and it worked

Most times with files that are downloaded that have extentions other than what they truly are is in the case of downloading music, such as MP3 files or WMA files. The ppl that do this do it to keep the illegal or copied albums of music or songs on their sites or servers. People then download them and rename the file extention and open them with the appropriate program, be it a ZIP or RAR file after the extention change.

VXD = Virtual X Driver. The lowest level type of program (and thus the most powerful) under Win3.x and Win9x. Doesn't exist under NT or its derivatives like XP, but there are equivalents.

www.filext.com

Here is a cool site that will give you the name of the program that opens whatever file extension you have. www.filext.com all you need to know is the extension and this site will tell you the program you need to open it and even provides links to obtain those programs.

Posted by scotty_02
VXD = Virtual X Driver. The lowest level type of program (and thus the most powerful) under Win3.x and Win9x. Doesn't exist under NT or its derivatives like XP, but there are equivalents.

Actualy there is... dsound.vxd in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 Folder. Anyway on the Computer I'm on at the moment there is. And it has XP Home Edition on it.

I have that one too! But if these are really VXD's, they're not used under XP (the architecture is too different from 9x/Me). I know cos I've had to rewrite the VXD's written under 9x as kernel drivers.

I have it as well in the system 32 it is a virtual device driver. At least according to what my systme says.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back