Whatever happened to autosensing FIBER NIC's?

mlakrid

OSNN BASSMASTER
Political Access
I remember hearing a few years back, that many vendors (Cisco included)

Were close to a breakthrough whereby you should soon be able to purchase a mutliple speed auto-sensing FIBER nic... I.E. 10/100/1000 Server or PC NIC.

WHat happened to this technology... Yes I know there are Gig fiber / 10/100/1000 Copper (Cat5e) as in two connections one fiber one copper...

I am talking about nothing but Fiber with the NIC being able to autosense the light emisions an determine what speed to set it to automatically...

Any Ideas??

Links??

Mike A!

Fiber is not something a normal person would want in their house. Reason being, they bend it the wrong way to far, and it is dead. It would be the cause of too many problems, that is the reason Cat5E and other standards still exist that still use copper.

As far as I know there are no auto sensing fiber NIC's, and I doubt there will be any in the near future.

not even close... does that look like a NIC?

I thought not... thats a converter... and there are tons of those around... I mean a FIBER NIC supporting multiple speeds... 10/100/1000

:)

thanks for trying though....

that sir was the result of research on the internet doped up on painkillers.

Fiber is not something a normal person would want in their house. Reason being, they bend it the wrong way to far, and it is dead. It would be the cause of too many problems, that is the reason Cat5E and other standards still exist that still use copper.

As far as I know there are no auto sensing fiber NIC's, and I doubt there will be any in the near future.

While I agree, I have to point out that with the advent of FiOS this may change (and sooner than expected), when fiber was originally created it was very inflexible and brittle. THe fiber patches used commercially today are so flexible that you can bend them around a pencil without too much fear that it won't work...

I know for sure that Marconi and CISCO both were working on this technology.
Sadly it doesnt exist YET that I can find... but the limits of Copper have been reached... due to attenuation and signal loss even from the slightest bend of a CAT6 or CAT7 copper cable, fiber will be the wave of the commercial industry...

To go beyond 10G to the desktop whch is only a few years away, we will be forced to go fiber, or a new technology will need to be invented.

Only time will tell...

:(

Last edited:
I think you've also got the newer added complexity of not just having to auto-sense the cable but possibly the individual frequencies of light down that cable now. I believe you can now flood your fibre with the colours of the rainbow and use each colour for data transmission.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back