What you need to know about phishing

L

Lee

Some know some don't. We are here to be educated, or educate.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into your inbox, there's a new form of spam on the horizon. This spam is more than just unsolicited and annoying. It could lead to the theft of your credit card numbers, passwords, account information, or other personal information. Read on to find out more about this new identity theft scam and to learn how to help protect your personal information.

What is phishing?

Phishing is a type of deception designed to steal your identity. In a phishing scam, a malicious person tries to get information like credit card numbers, passwords, account information, or other personal information from you by convincing you to give it to them under false pretenses. Phishing schemes usually come via spam e-mail or pop-up windows.

How does phishing work?

Phishing works by the malicious user sending millions of bogus e-mails that appear to come from popular Web sites or from sites that you trust, like your bank or credit card company. The e-mails, and the Web sites they often send you to, look official enough that they deceive many people into believing that they're legitimate. Believing that these e-mails are legitimate, unsuspecting people too often respond to the e-mail's requests for their credit card numbers, passwords, account information, or other personal information.

To make these e-mails look even more real, a scam artist might put a link in a fake e-mail that appears to go to the legitimate Web site, but actually takes you to a scam site or even a pop-up window that looks exactly like the official site. These copies are often called "spoofed Web sites." Once you're at one of these spoofed sites you might unwittingly enter even more personal information that will be transmitted directly to the person who created the site who might then use this information to purchase goods, apply for a new credit card, or steal your identity.

Hungry for more information and how to protect yourself? Read more here

On the table for Firefox 2.0: using ML (machine-learning) to create an intelligent anti-phishing system.
Blake Ross said:
Firefox 2.0 Machine Learning: Thanks so much for all your great ideas. The project I am working on this summer is an anti-phishing tool that detects and blocks spoof sites that phish for passwords and other sensitive information. However, there were a ton of good ideas there that we'll certainly review when we begin the push to 2.0.
smile.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back