what version of linux should i use.

ok... yes i am making this thread. yes i have seen many threads like this. Now that that is out of the way.

Ok i have a P3 Panasonic CF-48
P3 running at 493 Mhz
And it has a 192 megs of Ram.
Working cd/rom and floppy
Only modem no ethernet (i use a wirless card andf it works just fine)

I have several hardrives for it. and i want to play a version of linux. I am sad to say i am a noob at this.

Ok. I want suggestions of what would be the most painless linux diststro for the above laptop. THis is just to play with it for the most part (lap runs Xp pro really well).

for ease - I would says Suse (9.2)....

for best fit to the machine - I would say Ubuntu.....

Why not try both?

(PS is this thread here because you were bored in IRC ;) :p - if so I demand my rep points!)

knight of the old republic lol.. Im not seeing anything on the first 10 hits on google about it. hehe

I've only tried Ubuntu from the LiveCD, but it looked really nice. So it might be worth a try (free cds for order and all).

I was, at one time, primarily interested in SuSE, but Novell wants you to pay for it and ISO images are not available, as far as I know.

But now I've been reading all this talk about Ubuntu/Kubuntu, and the screenshots are impressive, thus far. Plus, "free" is definitely attractive there. What are the pros/cons of this Linux distribution?

I've wanted to try Linux for years. The biggest problem has to do with the fact of having too many choices. It's downright overwhelming.

Melon

I know exactly what you mean Melon , but you should not let that deter you (if you do then you will NEVER get to try and linux!)... Also Suse ISO's can be had for sure, I got mine online and you can run it for a months evaluation and the only need to pay is if you want support and to be getting fixes and maintenance..... So it is not like you have to pay up front like you do with XP. ;) :p

And as for the choices - if you think the choice of distro is off-putting then better prepare yourself! Once you get a distro installing there are many more choices ahead for you (and they all matter!) - you'll be presented with Gnome for GUI, or the more recent KDE (people get all heated about that!) and then will you use the Konqueror, which is kinda like the Linux Explorer, or I think there are other ways to go there too!

Just giving you a hint of the fun ahead..... but it is all good and if you thrive from the command line chances are it is for you too.....

Melon, the only con that i was able to find to Ubuntu (though i was only on it for a few minutes with the Live CD) is the fact that the installer wouldn't detect either of my disc drives, though the installer was able to start for some odd reason.

Mainframeguy said:
Once you get a distro installing there are many more choices ahead for you (and they all matter!) - you'll be presented with Gnome for GUI, or the more recent KDE (people get all heated about that!) and then will you use the Konqueror, which is kinda like the Linux Explorer, or I think there are other ways to go there too!.
KDE & GNOME are just a few of the "big" ones out there. Some people swear by windowmanger, blackbox, ect.

Yeah Konqueror is kinda like Explorer as it's a "file manager" for KDE, GNOME has it's own (the new eludes me and I'm lazy to look), others use different ones as well. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back