What to upgrade?

T

TBone

Here are my current specs:

1.4 GHZ Athlon T-Bird (Overclocked from 1.2 I think)
512 MB SDRam 133
40 Gig Hard Drive
32 MB GeForce 2 Mx
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
Windows XP Pro!
RICOH 12x10x32 CD-RW

My computer runs fine, just new games like Command and Conquer Generals and Unreal 2 don't run very well and Command and Conquer Generals crashes a lot.

So what should I upgrade?

Graphics card I'd say, you can get a 128mb card for a fairly decent price now, the other specs look fine to play the games you mentioned.

Should I wait till the FX comes down and prices drop or buy now?

Also how can I tell if my CPU is overheating cause its overcloked, and how do i know if the voltage is right?

No - don't buy the FX, it sounds like a vaccum cleaner, and it's performance is only a little bit better if not same/worse as the 9700 pro. Get a 9700 pro is what i'm trying to say, if you've got the cash :cool:

You can tell if your cpu is overheating by using a program like mbm -> http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

You know if the voltage is right if your cpu is stable :)

What I meant is wait to buy a card after the FX because it will force the prices down of the cards I am interested in buying.

Hmm, the link is down for mother board monitor. Any other suggestions?

Its stable jsut sometimes it seems unstable when running really graphic intensive stuff and i don't know how to know if its overheating or if it's my slow video card

i would also say that you are best off with a graphics card upgrade.... i think a radeon 8500, 9000, or 9500/9700 would do good. If you are interested in an nVidia card more... possibly a Ti4200, or 4800(only $208 on pricewatch).... there ya go...

1. Screw the FX. It sucks.
2. Graphics card! Update it! Geforce 4600 will be your good friend!
3. A faster CPU would be nice, non O/Ced, so it won't crash.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back