What to get.. Radeon 9800 Pro or FX 5800 Ultra?

• Thread starter ThePunkerGuy
  • Start date
I wouldn't :)

there is not enough of an increase over the performance of my card to justify the purchase :)

the next iteration... the r400 however.. that I will certainly consider...

man, it looks like nvidia's starting to become the underdog... in which case i'd have to stay loyal to them. :p

im sure Nvidia would kick back in action after a few twiddles of thumbs. I dont think they would always be behind from ATI:happy:

Nvidia Rulez! :D

Alex:cool:

Originally posted by Alex_is_Axel
im sure Nvidia would kick back in action after a few twiddles of thumbs. I dont think they would always be behind from ATI:happy:

Nvidia Rulez! :D

could also say nvidia cheats :)

sry... couldn't resist...

but @ this time I would have to say the playing field is quite fair... both the nv35 and r350 perform sort of equivalent... with the 9800pro now a smidgen ahead after this whole 3dmark03 fiasco that nvidia is going through...

i wouldnt say Nvidia are going through. I mean, in the past, Nvidia have made excellent cards all the way through the Geforce Family.

I actually reckon the ATI Drivers will be the things that will plunge the ATI behind... eventually :)

i wouldnt say their drivers suck... they dont bring out many very often, but the comparison is to nvidia, who bring out a new set of drivers for every pair of socks the MD wears (which is probably a lot)...

but like i told someone on IRC the other night - 9 out of 10 nvidia drivers give the user a lack of increasing performance in everyday applications, but instead giving the user an extra 20 points on 3dmark2003. And like mbunny has said in the past, the 3dmark2003 is nothing more than an ego thing - just like the fatheads at the beach flexing their muscles to impress.

ati has released WHQL drivers on a far more frequent interval than nvidia has recently... beyond that ati drivers support and WORK with far more of the said features in the hardware even given nvidia's homepage and self-congratulatory hype stating they have the industry's BEST dx9 driver suite... that is pure BS in leymans terms :)

ati drivers do work quite well... but unfortunately the general consensus is that nvidia drivers are wonderful even if you have to change drivers multiple times in order to get something to work... and ati drivers are crap since they don't work off the bat in some cases.... beyond that ATi drivers get blamed for the inneffective coding on the part of game developers who decide to code extensively for nvidia products BECAUSE they do not build their hardware for standards rather than the standards themselves which ati is building their hardware for... case in point... the gf FX lineup... using arbitary arb2 paths... (which are STANDARD ie anyone can use em) nvidia products get whooped... nothing to do with drivers... everything to do with hardware...

and yet carmack has spent extensive time making sure the nv30 path in doom3 works well and supports the proprietary extensions from nvidia... thats all well and good but basically you step off the path of standards :)

nvidia made and still does make good hardware... however I think it is high time they decided driver hackery and asking websites to review their products in a favorable manner is NOT the way to show superiority over a competitors products... perhaps better engineering and proper use of standards may actually help out once in a while :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back