What to build - new hi/mid spec system??

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political Access
My desktop computer is deceased - pretty sure the mobo is goosed!

I need to build a new system, but it's been 3 years since I last looked at hardware...

Direction on some new components from mobo/chipset upwards would be gratefully appreciated and discussed.

Ta

Mubbers

Core 2 Duo for certain. Build your system around that. Probably 2GB of RAM is best for you, and if you're not o/c'ing then get the PC5300 speed which is cheaper than the PC6400 but not much difference in performance.

For CPU I'd buy one of the following: QX6700, Q6600, E6700, or E6600

Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2

I was about to ask what was the best mobo for core2 chips...

Not that there is anything wrong with the Core2 chips, you might want to play the waiting game if you are willing. With summer approaching new products are going to be hitting the streets in the oncoming months. Intel has its 45nm line of products and AMD is releasing its anticipated Barcelona product line. If you are willing to wait, I suggest you do. Otherwise go with a C2D and be happy. :)

My desktop computer is deceased - pretty sure the mobo is goosed!

I need to build a new system, but it's been 3 years since I last looked at hardware...

Direction on some new components from mobo/chipset upwards would be gratefully appreciated and discussed.

Ta

Mubbers

Budget/needs/form factor and any other considerations?

:cool:

For now I'd pickup a core 2 duo E6600 and an intel badaxe 2 board. then in 12 months pickup a Penryn/Nehalym.

Do you think Penryn and Nehalem will be pin-compatible?

Nehalem will come in multiple flavors basic style, w/graphics, w/memory controller.

The last two will be new packages because of addiitonal pin outs. The basic style may be pin compatible.

Budget/needs/form factor and any other considerations?

:cool:

Budget not really an issue although I probably wont buy the very top CPU for example

E6600 = £180
E6700 = £300

difference = 0.37 GHz. OK there's bound to be other stuff but you get the idea.

Generally I am driven by having speed for big games.

Also I bought near top end last time and it lasted for 3 years.

well... if you want to buy now i think (as i said before) an e6600 + 2gb + 640mb 8800gts it's a pretty nice deal

you could wait for new cpus to appear, but except intel's new ones with 1333 bus (scheduled for next quarter) there are no real release dates for them, so you could end up waiting more than you'd like

for motherboard, i've heard good things about the msi 975x platinum and it's not very expensive... not very good with overclocking though

Budget not really an issue although I probably wont buy the very top CPU for example

E6600 = £180
E6700 = £300

difference = 0.37 GHz. OK there's bound to be other stuff but you get the idea.

Generally I am driven by having speed for big games.

Also I bought near top end last time and it lasted for 3 years.

I would consider waiting for a little longer because there are low-cost quad's supposed to be hitting the market soon..

I would in the meantime consider my options or a robust power supply and keep an eye on the video card market for sure.

http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=89766

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back