what the hell is this??

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
i was working on my video editing with nothing else running, i was even in game os at the time, and to my surprise i got an advertisement, st first i thought it was gain but it was nit running at all, anyone got any ideas where this came from???

let me geuss. You have msn messenger 5 and it was running when you made this screenshot. The title of the box is messenger service which is part of msn messenger 5. they found a new hole in the messenger service, this way they can deliver pop-ups all the waty to your dekstop. To stop them go back to windows messenger or disable the messenger service.

Originally posted by sboulema
let me geuss. You have msn messenger 5 and it was running when you made this screenshot. The title of the box is messenger service which is part of msn messenger 5. they found a new hole in the messenger service, this way they can deliver pop-ups all the waty to your dekstop. To stop them go back to windows messenger or disable the messenger service.

You are not quite right there. The Messenger service is TOTALLY different than MSN (or Windows) Messenger and have NOTHING to do with eachother. The Messenger Service is used since NT for Network Administrators to alarm users for certain things, like a Server shutdown or something.
Just thougt I'd clear this up.

The solution is the same though, just disable the Messenger Service in MSconfig.

hmm i thought it was part of messenger, but doesnt matter as you said solution stays the same. Thanks for clearing that out :)

I read an article about this recently, and this part of the new wave of advertising. It is currently a heated debate b/c most users (including myself) feel that this is essentially hacking your computer to advertise to you.

The article did not explain exactly how this works, but the general concept is this: Advertising companies scan networks and deliver the ads directly to your desktop. I can only assume that they do this by scanning for open ports commonly associated with chat programs like Messenger, ICQ, AIM, etc....

According to the article most firewalls will block this.

I tried, very unsuccessfully to track down the article, but I'm not exactly sure where I read it. I tried all my usual sites archives with no luck. It really sticks in my head that it was cnn.com. If I manage to find it, I will post in this thread.

ok thanks but my msn was not even on
i had about 8 services running in total, it is part of game os to load the bar minamum but i will disable the service thanks for all the help

This one has *nothing* at all to do with MSN messenger. You can totally remove MSN Messenger and those babys will still appear. It's got everything to do with the "service", which as someone else said, is typically used for broadcast messages by sys admins across a LAN. Of course, some idiot has found a way to abuse yet another one of the "features" of microsoft. If you're running your machine as standalone workstation and not part of a larger LAN where the sysadmin might need that service, go into your services panel (Admin tools) and just disable it.. no more ad problems.

This one has *nothing* at all to do with MSN messenger

Absolutely right! I have uninstalled MSN Messenger from my PC and I was still getting these occasionally. Again, disabling the messenger service stopped it from happening.

M$ doesn't help this issue because of the naming similarities between the service and the application...

yes this has been happeneing to me too, and it is getting quite annoying. Disabling the service does nothing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back