What the hell is DEJD.EXE

B

Blyx

Greetings Everyone,

I'm working on system for client who doesn't have any antivirus software and is connected to the internet via cable...I know that I don't need to go further as to what that means.

Anyway, he tells me that his system is running real slow all of a sudden and that his internet is really slow also. So I go in and clean up the temp folder, cache, etc. etc. I next run the removal tool for the Klez virus, none found...oddly enough, then I install Norton Antivirus and it won't even load after reboot...weird...I reboot again and it won't start up again. I uninstall it, clear the files from the registry and reinstall again...same damn thing. The computer boots up fine and I see that it's loading in MSCONFIG, but the damn program won't run when I double click on it. So I run Panda's active scan while connect to the internet and it says that it has found a trojan called dejd" (with the single quotation mark) and that it should be deleted. I've not heard of this virus/ worm/ trojan before, so I follow it's advice. The file infected is deleted and placed in the recycle bin. It sits there after reboot, I empty the recycling bin and BANG...no programs will start up now. Everytime I double click on a program it reads:

Cannot find dejd".exe

I try to enter the registry...same error

I look at the file associations since my computer is the only thing that does work and there it says for application extensions:

Applications: .exe open with dejd"

I know what you're thinking...edit the association, but I can't because it's greyed out and I can't remove it either.

I went to norton and they don't know what dejd" is either.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Blyx

It's the Yaha Virus!

Damn it took a while, but I got it figured out...it's the Yaha virus according to Norton or Lentin.e virus according to Panda.

I'm working on the fix now....wish me luck..this is one stubborn little s*&t.

Blyx

The Fix!

I forgot to include the fix I used! It's from Norton's website...don't know if this is legal or not...so sorry in advance if I'm not supposed to copy their stuff and place it hear.

To copy Regedit.exe to Regedit.com:
Because the worm modified the registry so that you cannot run .exe files, you must first make a copy of the Registry Editor as a file with the .com extension, and then run that file.

1. Do one of the following, depending on which operating system you are running:
Windows 95/98 users: Click Start, point to Programs, and click MS-DOS Prompt. This opens a DOS window at the C:\Windows prompt. Go on to step 2 of this section.
Windows Me users: Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click MS-DOS Prompt. This opens a DOS window at the C:\Windows prompt. Go on to step 2 of this section.
Windows NT/2000 users:
a. Click Start, and click Run.
b. Type the following and then press Enter:

command

A DOS window opens.

c. Type the following and then press Enter:

cd \winnt

d. Go on to step 2 of this section.
Windows XP:
a. Click Start, and click Run.
b. Type the following and then press Enter:

command

A DOS window opens.

c. Type the following and then press Enter after typing each one:

cd\
cd \windows

d. Proceed to step 2 of this section.

2. Type the following and then press Enter:

copy regedit.exe regedit.com

3. Type the following and then press Enter:

start regedit.com

The Registry Editor will open in front of the DOS window. After you finish editing the registry, exit the Registry Editor, and then exit the DOS window, as well.

1. Proceed to the next section, "To edit the registry and remove keys and changes made by the worm," only after you have accomplished the previous steps.

To edit the registry and reverse the change that the worm made:

CAUTION: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before you make any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify only the keys that are specified. Read the document How to make a backup of the Windows registry for instructions.

1. Navigate to and select the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\exefile\shell\open\command

CAUTION: The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes key contains many subkey entries that refer to other file extensions. One of these file extensions is .exe. Changing this extension can prevent any files ending with an .exe extension from running. Make sure that you browse all the way along this path until you reach the \command subkey.

2. In the right pane, double-click the (Default) value.
3. Delete the current value data, and then type: "%1" %* (That is, type the following characters: quote-percent-one-quote-space-percent-asterisk.)

NOTES:
On Windows 95/98/Me and Windows NT systems, the Registry Editor automatically encloses the value within quotation marks. When you click OK, the (Default) value should look exactly like this:

""%1" %*"

On Windows 2000/XP systems, the additional quotation marks will not appear. When you click OK, the (Default) value should look exactly like this:

"%1" %*

Make sure that you completely delete all value data in the command key before you type the correct data. If you leave a space at the beginning of the entry, any attempt to run program files will result in the error message, "Windows cannot find .exe." If this happens to you, start over at the beginning of this document, and make sure that you completely remove the current value data.

4. Restart the computer.
5. If you have not already done so, run Live Update, and then run a full system scan as described in the following section, "To scan with Norton AntiVirus and delete the infected files."

I was gonna say try the Symantec site for an online scan and I guess you did that. Symantec seems to be the best in terms of up to date fixes and removal tools.
It does get annoying sometimes with viruses especially with clients and when you have to explain to them that sorry half your business documents are infected and can't be cleaned, so i have to delete them lol

No S*&t...and then they blame you for their not having an antivirus program...ah well, nature of the business I guess.

Thanks for your post!

Blyx

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back