What the heck happen now? Mobo?

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
Well I am not sure what happen, nor can I find anyway to correct it. I was using my pc just fine last night before I went to bed. (My pc stays on 24/7) I got up this morning when to check my email and noticed that my USB wireless mouse was not working (it was pluged into the onboard usb 1.1 port) so I unplug it and plug it in to my USB 2.0 card and it works fine, so I re-try it in the onboard usb port, no dice. So I plug it back into the 2.0 card and move on to my email. I go to write a reply and realise that my keyboard is not working either. WTF! So I restart my pc thinking Glich, so after I restart, check the keyboard, and still nothing and my mouse still will not work in the on-board usb slot. I try a different keyboard, nothing, I move my keyboard to a different computer, and it works fine.

So I go into the device manager and remove the keyboard and the driver, restart so it will automatically find the keyboard, nothing, no beeps saying there is no keyboard, nothing, and it did not find the keyboard. So I try to manually install the keyboard, and as soon as I do, it opens the device troubleshooting guide. WTF!! And I can't install drivers for it either! Even manually selecting the driver doesn't work!

I have no idea what could have possibley happen in the 8hrs I slept that would cause this. In desperation I when out and bought a Logitech USB keyboard and plugged that into my USB2.0 card and it works just fine, But I still have no idea why the PS/2 keyboard won't work.

Now is it just me or do you think something happened to my mobo? Is there anything else that anyone can think of that can fix this? Could this be a delayed result from when my PSU blew up? Any ideas at all?

try go to bios.... see whether u enable the usb or not?? it happens to me once where my mouse(usb) cant move, i go to bios and the usb is disable (mayb by itself??).... so giv it a try...

ok so some years ago I worked catering for rock shows, and heard a story about how a headliner (don't remember who, sorry), upset at the opening act's doing better than they were, had a roadie take a syringe of sulpuric acid and "inject" the 48 channel mic snake somewhere in the middle of it's 200 odd foot length. So everything seems fine and then channels just start popping off dead, one by one. Sure hope your psu fire wasn't modern day acid to your motherboard, but if you remember, I asked that question at the time.

(that mean ol' doomsayer)

kip

If I remember correctly, there is a keyboard fuse on the mobo that might have blown. It's pretty small and doesn't look like a normal glass fuse though. The USB is a different matter. Sounds like it is dead. You could try disabling/re-enabling USB in the BIOS, and if that don't work, try clearing the CMOS totally and rebooting.

If your PS blew up, it might have weakened some other components. Is it possible you took a power surge while you were asleep?

Bretenn "try go to bios.... see whether u enable the usb or not?? it happens to me once where my mouse(usb) cant move, i go to bios and the usb is disable (mayb by itself??).... so giv it a try... "

Well because the only working keyboard is USB I can't even get into the Bios because the USB ports don't activate untill windows is loaded, so I am kinda screwed there. Unless anyone knows of a way to get into the bios other than at startup?

jkipk "ok so some years ago I worked catering for rock shows, and heard a story about how a headliner (don't remember who, sorry), upset at the opening act's doing better than they were, had a roadie take a syringe of sulpuric acid and "inject" the 48 channel mic snake somewhere in the middle of it's 200 odd foot length. So everything seems fine and then channels just start popping off dead, one by one. Sure hope your psu fire wasn't modern day acid to your motherboard, but if you remember, I asked that question at the time.

(that mean ol' doomsayer)

kip"

Ok, I think I get what your trying to say, and it just might be. I did run all the hardware testing software I could find after the PSU blew up and It didn't find anything wrong, but who knows?

scriptasylum "If I remember correctly, there is a keyboard fuse on the mobo that might have blown. It's pretty small and doesn't look like a normal glass fuse though. The USB is a different matter. Sounds like it is dead. You could try disabling/re-enabling USB in the BIOS, and if that don't work, try clearing the CMOS totally and rebooting.

If your PS blew up, it might have weakened some other components. Is it possible you took a power surge while you were asleep?"

I have never heard of a keyboard fuse on the mobo, I will take a look at the mobo manual again. (unless your pulling my leg). As far as the PC taking a power surge, it is possible but unlikley as every piece of electronics in my house is on high quality surge protectors and have amperage protectors. So I don't think that is the case.

So where are we at? A keyboard fuse, and the bios that I can't get into. I am in sad shape. LOL Uhhhggg. :(

but quite true also... one of my fren do experience lightning prob..... all seems ok except for it's usb and ps/2 plug.....
even it's mouse and keyboard is dead!

New Update

Well I have a new update, Yesterday I was deleting some files that were listed as adware and spyware and I accidently deleted the wrong registry file and got locked out of my PC (once again- it would boot to the splash screen but that was as far as it would go). As my USB keyboard doesn't work till windows has loaded I couldn't get into the bios to change my boot sequence. So I decided to clear the bios as things couldn't get any worse.

After clearing the bios some really strange things happened.
First the PC would not power up, at all! I was like WTF!! I tried in vain to power up the pc for over 15mins. In a last ditch attempt I used my USB to PS/2 adaptor for my keyboard and plugged it into the ps/2 port (that wasn't working before) and boom it powers up? WTF?

Ok, now my keyboard is working in my ps/2 port. So I get into the bios, change my boot sequence and go through the repair operation of windows and get my pc fixed. When I get to the part where it asked for the WinXP key (I have the sticker taped inside my removable front vent/USB 1.1 port tray) so when I start to slide it out my pc starts beeping like mad! WTF? And my keyboard dies again, I wiggle the cable for the usb 1.1 ports and it beeps some more and now the keyboard works again.

So I finish my repair power down the pc and remove the cable for the front usb 1.1 ports (I never use them anyway) and my keyboard works in the ps/2 slot just like it is suposed to and my rear on board usb 1.1 ports work just fine too!

So I think my ps/2 and on board usb problems are solved. I think that the cable that goes from the front usb ports to the mobo is bad!

Interesting approach to troubleshooting (j/k). Probly wouldn't take much heat to melt/short one or more of those little wires. What does this mean about your visit to Antec?

good hunting,

kip

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back