What spec needed for online games server?

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political Access
If I wanted to build a machine specifically as an online games server what kind of spec would I need - to run UT2003?

If it's a dedicated server it's all up to how many users you want playing on it simultaneously.

it'll probably be around the spec needed to actually play the game, a dedicated server doesn't need to be immensly powerful, as its only running code and not the actual game itself (if that makes sence :) )

if its truely dedicated, and if you're going to do it through xp.. you should down all system services the game doesn't need.. get lots of ram.. a moderate cpu.. and you don't even need a video or sound card..

i'd recommend a Linux box over xp
no sound
no gfx
plenty of mem
best cpu you can get (but like SickBoi says, moderate, it doesnt have to be an o/c'd 3.2ghz chip :) )
the UT2003 dedicated server i think is about a 500mb install so you dont need a 120gb HD either.

But again, it all depends on how many players you are wanting to 'host' at one time. I think you should try asking / e-mailing someone over at the official site...

Yes it would be a totally dedicated machine. I reckon I should be able to pick up a 1GHz machine 2nd hand relatively cheaply (or even build it up) and like you say stuff it with memory.

When this machine is acting as the server via ADSL would I be able to join in (with my main machine) via a LAN link?

Questions - always questions!

Mubbers

:D

Yes, I believe you would be able to join in with your main machine.

If I was to build a dedicated server for hosting a game...

At least 1.6 GHZ Processor ( Go with AMD, and with Proper Cooling ) if you choose Intel, no lower then 2GHZ
Memory wise, I would have what I have now, PC2700 DDR RAM, 1024MB.
Graphics card, anykind, because you won't actually be playing the game on it.
You don't even really need a sound card.
HDD wise, I would go for about 80 GB with an 8MB buffer...

If you have a dedicated 100Mbit connection and a ton of users that spec could be ok, but for DSL or cable gaming a PIII 500 with 20 GB disk and 256 MB (maybe 512) RAM should suffice. I mean, it's just the server bit. It couldn't take that much.

Ehh....Zedric is right, it won't need that much.

It's just me that's power hungry and spec crazy :p

500mhz seems a nice speed, i'd recommend the 512mb over 256mb, just to make everything go that bit smoother :)
theres always chance to upgrade anyway, so you could get a low spec server machine then simply add to it later if it doesnt suffice.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back